Chapter 28

"I have no idea." Maria said. "Rose? Hope?" 

"No, I don't really feel it." Erica said, shaking her head. "What about....Esme?"

"I love it!" Maria said. "Shelby Esme, it's really cute,"

"Let's go tell mom then," Hunter said, with a little smile.

Hunter, Erica and Maria started walking up the stairs,  and walked into Julias bedroom. Julia was rocking Shelby gently, and smiling at her new baby.

"We've decided." Erica said.

"What did you pick?" Julia asked.

"Esme. Do you like it?" Erica replied.

"I love it." Julia said with a smile. "Come here, hold your new sister."

Erica sat down and took the baby from her mother, Shelby just looked bored when Erica picked her up, whereas when Hunter and Erica were babies they would have kicked and squealed. Julia laughed.

"There's no pleasing this little madam, is there?" She said.

Erica smiled. She put her little sister in her shoulder and whispered in her ear. "As long as I'm around, trust me, no ones gonna hurt you at all. If they do, I'll sent them flying off with my crazy power, trust me Shelby, I'll protect you."

Shelby yawned and put her arms around Ericas neck, it looked like she was hugging her but in reality she was just finding a comfortable position to sleep in. Hunter laughed.

"Hey Erica, looks like your more comfortable than her bed." 

Erica glared at him and hit him on the side jokingly. "I hate you, did I ever tell you that?" She said sarcastically.

"Many times." Hunter replied. "More than I could count."

Through the entirety of their conversation Maria had been silent, because she had noticed something quite odd. The whole time she had known Julia they hadn't really talked that much, and when they had the focus had been on her growing stomach, but looking at her now Maria was puzzled. Firstly, once Julia had Shelby her figure had gone completely back to normal, no baby weight, no nothing. That in itself was weird, but explainable. As Julia spoke, Maria noticed that two of her top teeth were jagged and pointy, almost like a vampire.

I guess if vampires were real, not that Maria was childish enough to think that, Julia would almost definitely be one. To start, no one looks that young after having three children, Maria knew that for sure, her own mother had three children and looked about twenty-five years older. The young brunette bit her lip.

"Maria, are you okay?" Julia asked.

"Wha...?" Maria said, focusing on Julias teeth.

"Are you okay?" Julia said, looking at her a bit weirdly.

"Fine...." Maria said unconvincingly. "Julia, may I ask you a question?"

"Of course, honey!" Julia said sweetly.

"Do you...uh...believe in vampires?" Maria said quietly.

Julia put the pieces together, and decided to be as vague as possible. "I believe that some of us are different from others in ways that may seem..almost...supernatural.." 

Maria nodded slowly. Erica held Shelby out and creased her nose. "I think little Shelby needs changing." She said.

"Okay, go change her with Hunter, " Julia said. "Maria, would you mind staying behind?"

Erica nodded, a little confused, but still left the room with her twin brother. Maria, quite nervous, remained in the room awkwardly.

"What's this about, Miss Hoffman?" Maria said, feeling that the more formal term was necessary. Julia laughed.

"Honey, please don't call be Miss Hoffman, it makes me feel so old." She said. "But I'm guessing you've noticed my teeth."

Maria pulled a fake face of confusion. "I don't know why you would think-"

"Maria, I'm not stupid." Julia said. "I have a PhD. I'm a psychiatrist, I can tell when your lying. You have a lot of questions, which is understandable, I think if you are going to continue to live in this house you deserve to know the truth."

"What do you mean?" Maria asked.

"Firstly." Julia said. "If after you hear what I tell you, please feel no obligation to stay here, but know this. Hunter loves you, no matter what."

"I know, I love Hunter too, with all my heart," Maria said. "But it doesn't make me any less confused."

"Honey, you should probably sit down," Julia said. Maria sat down awkwardly and looked up at Julia, prepared to hear what she had to say.

"Okay, so.." Julia said. "I'm a vampire, to be blunt. Well, not completely, it's hard to explain, but Barnabas is one also."

"Very funny Miss Hoffman!" Maria laughed. "And I'm a werewolf!"

"Maria, honey, I'm being serious." Julia said. "If you don't believe that the supernatural are real, ask Erica to show you her talents,"

"Is this why Viola..tried to..um.." Maria said awkwardly.

"No." Julia said, shaking her head. "The story of me and Viola is for another day,"

"I'm going to stay." Maria said. "I don't care how different your family is, all I know is that I fell in love with your son and I'm not giving him up."

Julia put her hands out and hugged Maria. She was as beautiful as Viola, and as kind as Erica. Hunter had got lucky.