Chapter 2: Seperated

The two now separated gems groaned as they laid sprawled out on the floor.

"Sapphire!" Ruby ran over to the blue gem once she stood up, holding out a hand to help her.

"Ruby! Sapphire!" The gems, minus Peridot, exclaimed both excited and confused.

"Hello everyone," Sapphire placed a hand on her head.

"Did you..." Ruby starred at her quizzically.

Sapphire knew what she meant and shook her head, "Of course not. And you didn't?"

"Why would I?" Ruby tried a laugh.

"Are you guys ok?" Pearl stood awkwardly with the other gems.

"I suppose so," Sapphire said.

"But-but we didn't unfuse!" Ruby exclaimed and then blushed a bit embarrassed, "I mean-we didn't try to. Not on purpose."

"Something made us unfuse," Sapphire said, "But what?"

"Wait something?" Steven asked, "Like what? What could make you guys just unfuse like that?"

"Why don't we go back to the house and take a moment to relax a bit?" Sapphire smiled reassuringly at the worried gems. "We can figure everything out then."

They all nodded. As they made their way to the house, Ruby and Sapphire fell back a bit.

"What are we going to tell them?" Ruby asked.

"I'm not sure," Sapphire said calmly, "I see many possibilities but none seem very helpful."

They walked in silence for a few seconds.

"You...you felt it too, right?" Ruby said uneasily, "That weird feeling...whatever it was that made us separate. I don't know it was like someone else was just...there. Like we weren't alone."

"I'm not sure what you mean," Sapphire looked at Ruby worried, "I didn't feel anything like that, just us unfusing."

"Guess it was just me then..." Ruby looked away embarrassed and confused.

Sapphire took Ruby's hand in hers. Ruby looked at Sapphire a bit surprised but happy that she was there. Ruby was blushing madly and smiled at her.

"It's been a while since I've gotten to see you," Ruby smiled, causing Sapphire to blush.

"I could say the same to you," She laughed at Ruby's attempt to flirt.

Ruby moved her arm around the blue gem and Sapphire rested her head on Ruby's shoulder.

"There's my laughy Sapphy," Ruby smiled happily.