Chapter 29: Meanwhile

Lapis angrily slammed her shackled wrists on the walls. If they would just give me a chance to explain.

"Are you done yet?" Ruby muttered, "You're giving me a headache."

Lapis ignored her. After the mirror and Malachite, she was done with being trapped.

Ruby, on the other hand, was ok with it. She had lost control. She hurt Sapphire. She had convinced herself it was better if she was just away from everyone.

Her nightmares had gotten worse. The last dream confirmed her worried. Her memories were disappearing much faster. She knew now that she wouldn't just become some mindless drone. She'd be savage. She would poof, maybe even shatter, any gem that stood in the way of Homeworld's plans.

Lapis sank down to the floor as she again failed to accomplish anything. When she looked over at Ruby, Lapis realized she was crying. Even though she was mad at Ruby, she considered her a friend just as Lapis somewhat considered herself one of the Crystal Gems (although she would never admit it).

"What's wrong?" Lapis asked.

"Nothing," Ruby glared.

"It doesn't look like nothing."

"Look I don't need your comfort," Ruby said looking away from her, "I don't need your pity."

"You don't need to take it," Lapis said, "But I know what it's like to be a prisoner. It sucks and it's lonely most of the time." Lapis paused, "Especially for someone who I'm guessing hasn't been alone in a long time."

"Your point?" Ruby asked bitterly.

"My point is-" Lapis began to yell becoming frustrated but paused and continued more calmly, "The point is you and I are stuck down here for who knows how long so we might as well try to get along."

Ruby stayed quiet. She knew Lapis was right but that didn't mean she wanted to listen. She couldn't help but be angry. She wasn't who she wanted to be with and its her fault. She's the wrong blue gem.

I don't have a choice.

Lapis sighed giving up hope and leaned against the wall.

"Why'd you do it?" Ruby decided to ask, "Why were you trying to restart the kindergarten?"

"I wasn't," Lapis said, "Well I was...it's complicated ok?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I wasn't the one putting it together."

"Then who was?"

Lapis looked away ashamed.

"Malachite."