Chapter 7: Together Breakfast

It would be a bit of an understatement to say that the next morning was awkward. Pearl was the only one other than Sapphire that knew about Ruby's dream (Steven was a deep sleeper).

When Steven woke up he immediately rushed to the kitchen, determined to make the best together breakfast he could.

Amethyst and Pearl joined the group only a few minutes later.

"How is she?" Pearl asked Sapphire quietly. She had been leaning on the counter, watching Ruby worriedly. Ruby was lying on the couch, staring blankly at the ceiling.

"She's unbelievingly worn out," Sapphire said, "I've never seen her so tired."

"Maybe the stress of the dream-" Pearl suggested.

"No," Sapphire turned to Pearl, "I believe it's more than that. The dream is only a mere symptom of what is happening to her." Her voice got quieter and uncharacteristic emotion seeped into her words, "I look into the future...and all I see is her suffering. What...I don't know what to do. What do I do?"

"Well right now-" Pearl looked unsurely at the red gem.

"Together breakfast is done!" Steven placed a huge plate of waffles covered in popcorn, syrup, whipped cream, and more on the counter. Sapphire cracked a small proud smile despite the situation.

"Right now we eat together breakfast," Pearl smiled a little too and walked away.

For Steven. Sapphire thought.

"Amethyst save some for the others!" Steven whined, trying to pull Amethyst away from the plate of food.

"This is...delicious Steven," Pearl laughed nervously as she pretended to eat. She still couldn't stand Earth food.

"They really are a bunch of dorks, aren't they?" Ruby laughed weakly as she made her way to Sapphire.

Sapphire giggled at that, "Yes they are." She took Ruby's hand, "Come on, let's eat."

"So! How is it?!" Steven grinned excitedly as Ruby and Sapphire took a few bites.

"It's great Steven," Ruby smiled.

Sapphire grinned back, "Better than the best diner in the world."