Chapter 16: I Might Be Able To Help

"Do you really think she can help?" Ruby asked skittishly.

"As fate shall have it," Sapphire said.

"Yeah well does fate say Lapis hasn't killed her yet?" Amethyst pointed to the truck through the roof.

The gems were going to visit Peridot and Lapis to see if they were getting along yet and because Sapphire said Peridot might be able to help with why they can't fuse.

Lapis and Peridot were sitting close together on the truck watching Camp Pining Hearts together. After giving everyone a tour of their various art, they insisted on showing them their music.

"Peridot! Lapis!" Steven interrupted them finally, "That sounds really great but we really need to ask you something."

"Oh right! Of course," Peridot dropped her triangle and smirked at Lapis, "Lapis darling, go take five."

Lapis smiled at her. "Yeah, no." She continued to bang her tambourine as loudly as she could on various items of furniture. 

Ruby stared at the two unsurely, "I don't know Sapphire. Maybe we shouldn't bother-" Ruby began to whisper.

"Ruby needs to talk to you about something Peridot," Steven said pushing Ruby towards the green gem. Ruby was stiff and laughed nervously.

"Maybe we should give them some privacy," Pearl said and the others awkwardly agreed, walking out of the barn. Before Sapphire went completely through the doorway Ruby grabbed her hand and gave her a pleadingly look to stay. Sapphire nodded and stood next to Ruby, not letting go of her hand.

"Pearl?" Steven asked as they sat in the grass a few feet away from the barn, "Are Ruby and Sapphire going to be ok? Are we going to be able to fix them?"

"I don't know," Pearl admitted, "It's great to see them again but they seem so stressed."

"If we could just figure out how to get them to make Garnet again-" Amethyst sighed.

"Uh, guys?" Peridot interrupted, walking over to the group, "This is kind of important. I think you all need hear this."

"What is it?" Steven asked worried.

"It's Homeworld."