Chapter 17: Hijacking

"It's Homeworld."

"W-what?!" Pearl gasped.

"Come on, I'll explain inside," Peridot lead them into the barn to an angry, pacing Ruby and Sapphire who was trying to calm her.

The others stood next to them, anxiously awaiting Peridot's explanation.

"I've read about something that sounds just like that," Peridot said, "I never even realized that Homeworld would try it again. It seemed so far fetched and too risky plus who would they even use it on," She glanced around the room at the gems, "But I can't think of anything else. The dreams, they're very specific and for a certain reason. Ruby's being hijacked."

Ruby froze suddenly where she was, "Jasper said that..." Then added quickly, "In my dream."

Peridot nodded and then asked hesitantly, "Ruby have you been forgetting things?"

"What?! No of course not!" Ruby said harshly and looked at Sapphire for confirmation. Instead of giving reassurance she asked Ruby a question.

"When was the last time we unfused?"

"We were in an argument."

"About?"

"What does that matter?" Ruby asked annoyed.

"What did Steven and Peridot just defeat?"

"J-Jasper?" Ruby answered unsurely, growing more frustrated.

"What's Steven's birthday?"

"I DONT REMEMBER, OKAY?!" Ruby yelled and then looked shocked, "I...I don't remember." She looked at Sapphire with a look of fear.

"It's happening faster than I thought..." Peridot shook her head.

"You tell me what you and that neon cheeto did to me or so help me-" Ruby grabbed Peridot by her shirt and glared threateningly at her.

"Alright, calm down!" Peridot held her hands up. "You'll be forgetting a lot more than that and soon. It was an old Homeworld plan. They wanted to know if they could restart a gem. Go into their minds and pick them apart, striping away all of their life, their memory, their personality, and break them down to just their basic purpose. Perfectly mindless drones, helpless and obedient."

"I'm...I'm going to..." Ruby dropped Peridot to the ground, not believing what she was hearing.

"Sit down," Sapphire said, "This is...quite a lot to take in." Ruby realized Sapphire was beginning to tear up.

"Hey," Ruby placed a hand on her cheek and brushed her hair out of her face with the other, "I'm still here now."

The two gems hugged yet all the gems couldn't help but think the same thing.

For how long?