Chapter 9: Let's Talk Just Me and You

The farther Ruby walked, the worst she felt. How was she suppose to go back there after that?

What even was that?! She asked herself. She didn't understand why she was so angry. That nightmare had really freaked her out and had resurfaced memories she had rather left hidden.

She turned around to look at the beach house. She didn't see anyone coming after her. Maybe they don't want to come after me, she thought sadly and sat down on the sand behind a rock. Tears started to fall from her eyes.

In the span of one night she had been ripped away from Sapphire, dreamt of her death and Ruby's own torture, and managed to upset the gems even more now.

"R-Ruby?" A familiar voice sounded next to her.

"Go away," Ruby hide her face in her arms, bringing her knees to her chest. "Don't look at me."

"Ruby it's ok," Steven sat down next to her. "Whatever's happening we'll figure it out. Just come back to the beach house."

Ruby looked away from him and stayed silent, deep in thought. Steven held out his hand pleadingly.

"What if Pearl's right?" Ruby was so quiet Steven almost didn't hear her.

"What do you mean?" Steven scooted closer to her.

"What if it really is something wrong with the two of us?" Ruby's tears fell to the ground as she looked at Steven. "Our fusion is made from love. If-if we can't fuse anymore what if...what if Sapphire doesn't want me anymore?"

"Aw Ruby," Steven hugged her and she fell into his arms crying, "Of course Sapphire still loves you. She's probably worried sick about you right now!"

Ruby didn't respond.

"You know Sapphire better than any of us," Steven continued, "You know she cares about you. She loves you."

Ruby's tears seemed to stop.

"Ruby?" Steven pulled away from her a bit.

She again didn't respond. Instead her eyes were shut and her breathing finally steady.

Steven smiled a bit at the now sleeping gem.

"Let's get you home."