Chapter 5: Dreams

Chapter 5: Dreams

Steven and Ruby had already fallen asleep on the couch so Pearl carried Steven to his bed upstairs and Amethyst went to her room. Peridot went back to the barn to make sure Lapis was doing ok.

"Are you sure you guy's will be fine on the couch?" Pearl asked Sapphire.

"It's fine, I'd rather not wake Ruby," Sapphire said, happily sighing as she stared at her girlfriend who was laying in her lap and drooling slightly in her sleep.

"If you say so," Pearl smiled at the couple as she went upstairs to not-so-secretly watch Steven sleep.

Sapphire was playing with a strand of Ruby's hair when a hologram suddenly flickered on from the red gem's hand.

"I didn't know you could do that..." Sapphire watched fascinated.

Ruby, still asleep, was having her dream projected from her hand. The scene unfolded in a beautiful blue and red light. Ruby and Sapphire were dancing in the forest and as Ruby swung Sapphire around in circles in her arms they fused into Garnet, the first ever version of Garnet they had ever made.

Sapphire, the real world Sapphire, smiled at the image, touched that Ruby was dreaming of them.

But then something strange happened in the dream. Garnet was suddenly running from something and she was scared. Around her everything was crumbling into black dust and being blown away into the darkness. As Garnet was running her leg got caught in a web of vines and as she fell, she unfused.

"Ruby!" Sapphire, the dream one, reached out for help as her foot was still stuck in the vines.

"Sapphire!" Ruby yelled stumbling towards her with arms outstretched.

"Ruby help!" Sapphire cried as the darkness caught up with them. In front of Ruby's eyes, Sapphire crumbled into dust.

"Sapphi-"

All sound cut out of the hologram. Real Sapphire watched horrified, trying to shake Ruby awake.

But Ruby didn't wake up. Instead the dream got worse.

Now dozens of different scenes were flashing across the room and voices were yelling at different volumes making the room disorienting and confusing.

"Sapphire!" Ruby's voice. The prison cell on the Homeworld ship.

"Oh Sapphire, oh Sapphire!" A mocking voice teased. A flash of orange.

"Did they hurt you?" Dream Sapphire's voice.

"Stop please!" Ruby screamed, "Sapphire help! Sapphire!" Flashes of green and red light.

"Who cares?" Ruby laughed.

Pearl, the real one, rushed downstairs after hearing the voices to see the real Sapphire desperately trying to wake Ruby up who was crying in her sleep. Pearl ran to the fridge, found a cup of water, and poured it on Ruby.

"S-Sapphire?" Ruby sat up, fully awake now.

Sapphire pulled a shocked Ruby into a hug.

"I-I'm sorry," Ruby whispered.