Chapter 6: Did I Say Dream? Try Nightmare.

"I-I'm sorry," Ruby buried her face in Sapphire's shoulder.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Sapphire pulled Ruby closer. Pearl made eye contact with Sapphire and gave her a supportive smile before going into her own room to give them some privacy.

"Ruby..." Sapphire pulled away, trying to get a good look at the red gem's face. Tears were streaming down Ruby's cheeks and her fists were clenched tight.

"Hey it's ok," Sapphire moved her hair out of her eye so she could look at her better, "It's ok. I'm here. I'm right here."

Ruby tried to talk but choked on her own words.

"You don't have to say anything," Sapphire said softly.

"I-I...b-back there I thought I l-lost you," Ruby's voice broke.

"I'm ok. You're ok. You're safe."

Ruby nodded at Sapphires words, repeating them in her head.

"Do you want to fuse?" Sapphire asked softly. Ruby nodded. She shakily stood up and Sapphire placed a hand on her shoulder. They began to dance and as Ruby twirled Sapphire around they were shocked.

It didn't work.

They didn't fuse.

"I-I don't understand," Sapphire shook her head, "I didn't see this happening. This shouldn't be a possibility."

Of course this made Ruby feel even worse. She didn't know why they couldn't fuse but she had the strange feeling that it was her fault.

"Ruby I'm sorry," Sapphire hugged Ruby, "I'm so sorry."

Ruby didn't speak, just buried her face once more in Sapphire's shoulder. They didn't speak after that. Ruby stayed awake despite feeling exhausted, her tears eventually drying but her despair and fear only growing. Both gems were wondering the same thing.

Why can't we fuse? What's happening to us?

Sapphire stared at Ruby. She couldn't help but think back to everything she heard in that dream. Ruby was calling her name. Ruby had needed her. Why hadn't she been there for her? What happened to Ruby?