Chapter 15: Late Night

Ruby carried Sapphire into the living room bridal style and set her on Steven's bed.

"What are you up to now?" Sapphire asked although she already knew.

"You'll see," Ruby grinned and grabbed a blanket, popcorn, and a huge stack of DVDs. "I already asked Steven if we could use the TV. He's spending the night at Connie's anyway so I thought we could watch some movies."

"Connie said these were really good," Ruby gave Sapphire the first disk, "There are books too but we don't have any of them."

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?" Sapphire read the title out loud.

"Yeah!" Ruby grabbed it and put the disk in the TV, "It's about wizards and magic and something called a Draco."

The two of them cuddled together in their blanket as it started.

7 Movies, 42 Puns, and 5 Bags of Popcorn Later

"HOW COULD THEY KILL HIM!" Ruby yelled at the TV. Sapphire placed a hand on her shoulder, equally sad.

"Next you're gonna tell me Harry dies..." Ruby grumbles.

"We've ran out of popcorn," Sapphire paused the movie and started to get up, "I'll get more-"

"No!" Ruby reached out before looking away embarrassed, "I mean, you should just stay here."

"Is everything all right?" Sapphire asked Ruby thinking back to their earlier conversation.

"Yeah I just..." Ruby scratched the back of her neck and continued quietly, "I'm getting tired. Like a lot."

Sapphire didn't respond, deep in thought.

"I just-you keep me awake," Ruby's voice got quieter with each word, "I don't want to fall asleep." She absentmindedly looked at the gloves covering her gem.

Sapphire sat down next to Ruby.

"Let's finish the movie," Sapphire said and Ruby nodded. She rested her head on Sapphire's shoulder and pressed play. She was still enjoying the movie but at the same time it was taking every bit of strength in her to keep from passing out.

"Stay awake dear," Sapphire nudged Ruby a bit, "You're going to like this next part."