Chapter 8: Outburst

Chapter 8: Outburst

"This was great Steven, thank you," Pearl said, sliding her portion of together breakfast over to Amethyst.

"Yeah not bad!" Amethyst burped. Pearl chastised Amethyst causing the others to laugh.

Steven was proud of his work. He loved seeing all the gems sat together. It wasn't often he got to see Ruby and Sapphire.

"So when are you guys gonna to fuse Garnet again?" Steven asked curiously.

Ruby stiffened and her and Sapphire shared a look.

"Garnet isn't going to be coming back for a while..." Ruby looked down sadly.

"What?" The gems, minus Sapphire, asked in unison.

"It would seem that Ruby and I are unable to fuse at the moment," Sapphire took Ruby's hand and squeezed it to show reassurance, "We don't understand why but we think whatever split us up in the first place is still in effect."

"Well what could do that?" Pearl asked out-loud, "I've never heard of any outside force capable of doing something like that. You two aren't having any...internal conflicts, are you?"

"What are you implying?" Ruby's voice was low and she leaned forward a bit on the counter.

"What Pearl is trying to ask," Sapphire placed a hand on Ruby's shoulder and gave her a look to calm down, "Is if there's anything we might need to get off our chests, which I know I don't. Ruby?"

"I don't," Ruby grumbled. Sapphire paused and looked at her a little too long.

"Alright," Sapphire said, "Then whatever is separating us must be new."

"Something we know nothing about," Amethyst raised an eyebrow, "Something we've never even heard of. We don't even know what this thing is, let alone if we can kill it."

"Well we'll figure out a way!" Ruby yelled growing red (redder than usual that is).

"Woah calm down I was just-" Amethyst reached out a hand.

"I don't need to calm down!" Ruby yelled, "I need to find whatever did this to me-I mean-us!"

And with that Ruby stormed out of the house and to the beach.