Chapter 33: My Diamond

"What is this?" The newly formed Garnet looked down at herself in shock. She stayed for only a few seconds before the two gems unfused.

Panicking, Sapphire grabbed Ruby's arm before she could even get her bearings and rushed her away from the crowd, into a forest-like area.

"Wha-WHAT WAS THAT?!" Ruby scowled angrily at Sapphire, "I could've shattered that pink monster right there and ended this and you-"

"Oh I'm so sorry for saving your life, next time I'll just let them poof you," Sapphire frowned at the red gem.

"That's my JOB," Ruby glared, "Now what will they say. Not only was I saved by the weakling I was protecting, but I was forced to FUSE with some...some one eyed freak!"

Sapphire was at a loss for words as she watched the red gem pace back and forth setting small fires wherever she walked.

Ruby nearly growled when she looked at Sapphire, "You ruined my life. I ought to just shatter you right now." Ruby summoned her weapon.

"Now Ruby..." Sapphire backed away, "Think about this."

Ruby was about to attack when something round hit her in the stomach and she flew back.

"The Gems from earlier..." Ruby's sight cleared and she saw Pearl and Rose standing protectively over Sapphire, "You're a traitor." Ruby nearly laughed, "Of course. Why should I have expected any different? Are you even psychic?"

"She doesn't have to answer anything to you," Pearl kept her sword aimed at Ruby's chest.

"What're you gonna do then?" Ruby smiled. "Shatter me? Brainwash me with your love for the Earth?"

"Neither," Pearl brought down her sword and the last thing Ruby saw was a smiling Sapphire.

Ruby's eyes flung open as soon as the dream ended.

She looked around frantically before her eyes landed on Sapphire. "YOU!"

"Ruby I-"

"Shut up," Ruby growled. She looked at the different gems. Some she recognized. Some she didn't. Their numbers must've grown.

"What's wrong with her?" Pearl looked worriedly at Peridot.

"It's the hijacking," Peridot explained gravely for everyone, "It's done, its over. Ruby's...not Ruby."

Sapphire shook her head slightly in denial, looking at the red gem before her. But when she looked into her eyes all she saw was anger and hate and red. Burning red.

"Do you...remember me?" Sapphire asked.

"Remember?" Ruby spat, "How could I forget?" Ruby's weapon was now summoned as she looked back on bittersweet memories. She had let Sapphire get away with her crimes more than once. No more.

With an angry battle cry she hurled into the nearest gem which happened to be Amethyst and tossed her aside. Making quick effort she battled the gems as they came at her. No one could manage a blow on her but she couldn't get one on them either.

Ruby did have one advantage however. The gems were tired. Running on stress and low energy they weren't prepared for a fight. Ruby on the other hand was an untouchable flame, darting this way and that, confusing them all.

At one precise moment when it seemed as though Ruby had the upper hand, with almost all the gems handicapped in some form, Sapphire pinned her against the wall with a single icicle in her hand and at Ruby's throat. Everything around her was being coated with frost and a slight chill ran through the air.

"Go ahead," Ruby grinned, "Do it."

Sapphire's hand shook and for a moment she doubted herself. In front of her she saw the peaceful gem she had fell in love with. The same dork who liked Harry Potter and ranted about her favorite stories. The same lovesick gem who would flirt with her endlessly and always know what to say to comfort her. The one who tempted fate to save her and risked everything so they could be together.

"Thought so," The new Ruby chuckled and grabbed Sapphires arm roughly pushing her away. Ruby separated herself from the crystal gems with a brilliantly tall wall of flames that cut them off from her, and the exit, completely. The gems could only watch through the flames as Ruby disappeared from the room.

Sapphire fell to the ground, overcome with grief. A single tear welled up in her eye but she refrained. She couldn't break down now. She muttered something barely audible, seven words that quickly became her and the Crystal Gem's new reality.

"We have so much work to do."

•••••

Ruby ran from the Crystal Gems as fast as she could. She didn't know how or why but she had a feeling in her gut that there was somewhere she needed to go.

Then she caught sight of it. In the distance on the beach. A flash of blue and a familiar orange shape.

"No way," Ruby grinned as she came closer to the two.

"Ruby," Jasper grinned as though she were greeting an old friend, "Glad to see you could make it."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Ruby chuckled, happy to see a familiar face. She didn't recognize the Lazuli standing next to Jasper nor did she understand why she was giving her such a strange look. Jasper seemed to  trust her however so she let it slide.

Ruby turned around to see a few specs coming out of the temple and running their way.

"What are we waiting for then," Ruby turned and began walking side by side with Jasper, Lapis trailing behind, to a hidden warp pad not too far away from the boardwalk, "Let's go."

~The End~