Chapter 18: Memories

You'll be forgetting a lot more than that and soon.

Ruby shook her head. She was still trying to process what Peridot had just told her. It was as if someone had said she had a month to live.

"Ruby?" Sapphire's words interrupted Ruby's thoughts.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"You look worried," Sapphire said, "Are you doing ok?"

"I'm fine," Ruby shrugged it off. They were both sitting on the couch and Ruby put her arm around Sapphire, subconsciously hoping to distract her.

Sapphire however knew better than that. She didn't want to push Ruby to talk but something was obviously troubling her.

"You know..." Ruby began to say, "Its been a while since we've trained. I mean since we split up it seems like we haven't been doing much."

"You want to train?" Sapphire saw this in her future vision but was still surprised Ruby would focus on that.

Ruby nodded. She didn't even realize she was distracting herself. Sapphire didn't argue though.

After telling the others where they were going, the two teleported to the ruins.

"So what should we start with?" Sapphire asked.

"Want to spare?" Ruby grinned, "Like old times?"

Sapphire grinned as a thought came across both their minds.

"Saph wait up!" Ruby laughingly ran after the blue gem.

"Now focus you two," Rose smiled slightly as Ruby and Sapphire walked into the ruins for the first time, "We're here for a reason."

"And that reason was so important we had to unfuse?" Ruby raised an eyebrow.

"You two can't be fused all the time," Pearl said.

'Watch us,' Both Ruby and Sapphire thought.

"There might be a time where you two get separated and if that happens you have to be ready," Pearl continued. Pearl summoned her weapon and Rose her shield.

Ruby summoned her gauntlet and Sapphire formed an ice crystal in her hand.

Ruby fought against Rose and Sapphire against Pearl. In the end Ruby and Sapphire worked together and inevitably fused to finish the fight.

"You can't pull that move every time Garnet," Pearl complained.

"Watch me," She grinned.

As the memory suddenly flooded through the two gem's minds, the idea of training appealed to Ruby less and less. The smile fell from her face causing Sapphire to frown, confused.

Ruby couldn't help but think now they really couldn't fuse. Now they'd be separate for who knows how long.

Another thought came to her. How long did she have until that memory was gone forever? How many memories had already left her and she had no idea they existed in the first place?

"Hey..." Sapphire placed a hand on Ruby's chin, tilting her head so their eyes met, "Do you want to go back home?"

Ruby attempted a smile, "Lets get to sparing. We got to keep our strength up...right?"

"Right..." Sapphire didn't sound convinced.