Chapter 28: Maybe Things Will Get Better

Ruby wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing that she had gotten used to the nightmares. On the bright side they didn't effect her as much, no matter how terrifying they seemed everytime. However the more comfortable she got with them the more she worried. How could she be comfortable with a living hell?

As she slept in Garnet's room, chained and prisoner, these thoughts didn't riddle her like they used to but instead became reality.

Ruby ran for her life in her dream, desperately trying to escape the inky black darkness that haunted her every night, erasing everything in its path. If only Ruby could escape just this once.

Still, nothing changed and just as the darkness caught up with Ruby her vision blacked out. For a moment she found herself back in the strange mirror room from before. Someone tapped her shoulder and she turned around to see scenery flourishing before her eyes.

In front of her was the cloud arena before it was in ruins. Ruby would recognize the place anywhere.

"Come on Ruby do you want to be late again?" Another Ruby with a gem on her stomach laughed. She had been the one to tap her shoulder.

"Right!" Ruby got up, forgetting what just happened. Ruby felt as if she had seen this before but at the same time felt as if she was experiencing it for the first time and was watching it through someone else's eyes.

Ruby rushed into the arena where a few other Rubies were already ready. Jasper was standing in the middle, in charge of it all.

"Hey Red," Jasper greeted as Ruby walked up to her.

"Same old schedule as usual, huh?" Ruby found herself asking.

"Gladiator fights until break time," Jasper sighed, "Nothing you can't handle I'm sure."

Ruby chuckled a bit, eager to get started. Luckily she was first as the arena began filling with mist.

"Alright," Jasper's voice could be heard from somewhere inside the cloudy area, "These Crystal Gems as they like to call themselves are trying to gain more followers including those who aren't fighter type. To prepare you for those situations you will be fighting non-fighter types. Don't hold back on these gems. They're prisoners. Give them what they deserve."

A peridot came through the mist, charging Ruby. Seeing it, Ruby flung her aside with ease. More came after here and Ruby mercilessly poofed them or worse cracked them.

She was almost done when she heard a gem try to sneak up behind her. Turning around she prepared to slam her gauntlet into the gem's chest.

But when she turned around she saw Sapphire.

Not her Sapphire, no, but a different one. She wore the same panicked expression Ruby had seen on Sapphire's face before and it shocked her just enough to stop her attack. In doing so the other Sapphire regained her wit and knocked her to the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jasper growled, ending the fight and grabbing Ruby roughly, "Don't you know hesitation gets you shattered?"

"I-"

"Don't make me tell you again," Jasper pushed Ruby to the floor.

Ruby's eyes shot open. She was back in Garnet's room. Next to a sleeping Lapis. Alone.

Ruby sat with her head on her knees not feeling ashamed as a few tears welled up in her eyes. She was certain now that she could never see Sapphire again.

Not like this. Not now. Maybe not ever.

She didn't even say goodbye.