Chapter 1: An Unexpected Event

A thirteen-year-old boy named Hajari lives in a small town in Los Angeles, California named Gardenia. He lives with his mother, father, and has a pet rabbit named Kiko.

On a hot and muggy day, the sun shines in Hajari's face through the wide-open window while he has a pillow over his face and the covers tightly over him.

"Wake up, sleepyhead. The sun's been up for ages," said Tia, Hajari's mother.

Hajari throws the pillow off his face. "Five more minutes Mom!" he said with an attitude.

"You're late, Hajari!" Tia yells.

Hajari jumps up and puts on his light blue shirt with yellow short sleeves and light blue slacks for school. Then, he runs into the bathroom and rinses and spits out his mouthwash. "Why didn't you wake me up before?! The alarm didn't go off! Oh no! I can't believe this." As soon as Hajari puts on his backpack he realizes something. "Wait a minute school's out." Hajari drops his backpack. "The alarm didn't go off because I'm on vacation. Oh, Mom, your joke is not funny."

"Ah! But you fell for it, didn't you?" Tia laughed.

Hajari yawns. "I'm sleepy. I'm going back to bed."

"You should try to go to bed earlier. You were up really late last night," Tia said as she picks up Hajari's book from the floor and places it on his desk.

"I was reading," Hajari says as he pulls the covers over him.

"Fairies Myth or Reality" Tia reads the title of the book. "Ugh, don't you ever get tired of these silly things?" asks Tia.

"They're not silly, okay?" Hajari responds.

"Whatever. Now that schools over you can help me in the shop," Tia says as she walks downstairs to the kitchen.

"Oh no!" Hajari puts his hand on his forehead.

Hajari stumbles downstairs. Downstairs, Hajari finds his father at the kitchen table reading the newspaper and his mother cooking breakfast. As Hajari walks up to his dad, Charlie, at the kitchen table. His dad looks up. "Good morning, son."

Hajari has his arms crossed. "I'm not spending my summer working in the shop. I wish I could go somewhere fun with my friends."

"When you're older you can go wherever you want," says Charlie.

"How old is older? I'm already thirteen, Dad."

"Only thirteen, but you're still my little boy."

"Dad, it's not fair."

"Listen, we'll all go to the beach like we do every year."

"But all my friends get to go on holidays by themselves. That would've been the best present ever."

As Tia puts Charlie's plate of waffles, eggs, and bacon on the table, she says to Hajari, "Speaking of presents we got you a little something."

Hajari's bright blue eyes lighten up with joy.

"Yeah, just a little something to help you get around Gardenia," Charlie says as he takes a bite of his bacon.

"Really?! Thanks, Dad!" Hajari says as he runs outside to the porch.

Outside, Hajari sees a bicycle and makes a frown because he wanted a hoverboard. Hajari walks toward the bike sad.

As Charlie and Tia look out the window. 

"See Tia, he doesn't know what to say," said Charlie.

"I don't know, Charlie. Maybe he was expecting something a bit more sophisticated," says Tia.