chapter twenty nine :: i feel like i'm drowning

i wrote this chapter like a year ago and i edited it a lot bc it was really bad and it still kinda is and it's wayyy too dramatic but it's a chapter so enjoy ig its also 3,500 words so

- -

"Josh," CJ whined. "I really don't wanna go." She sat on the edge of the bed, her fingers fumbling together.

"I know babe," Josh got down in front of her. "But I promised I would go. Tyler cancelled on me and I don't wanna go alone."

CJ sighed. "I'm not getting in the pool."

"Not even with me?"

CJ shook her head. "You know I can't swim."

"I know," Josh tucked her hair behind her ear. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to."

A small smile formed on her lips from his consideration.

"Oh my god." Josh whispered.

"What?" CJ's eyebrows furrowed as she worried, feeling self-conscious by his comments. "What did I do?"

"You smiled," Josh cooed. "You're just so beautiful. I don't even know how you can't see that."

CJ rolled her eyes. "Shut up."

"I have a way to shut you up."

"How?" CJ whispered as if it was a secret.

"You really wanna know?" Josh whispered back as he began leaning in.

"Yeah." She nodded and smiled even wider.

"Come here." Josh said as he began kissing her sweetly, his index finger and thumb guiding her chin upwards.

"One more thing." CJ spoke quietly.

"What?"

"I'm not wearing a bathing suit."

***

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this." CJ said as she looked down at herself, clad with Josh's t-shirt. Underneath was her red bikini. The shirt was big on her and went down past her bikini bottom.

"Exposure is good for you." Josh kept his eyes on the road as he reached over and set his hand on his girlfriend's thigh.

"Yeah, for anxiety. Nobody said anything about wearing three triangles."

Josh chuckled. "I don't think it looks half bad."

"Because you're my boyfriend," CJ remarked. "And your hand just keeps going higher and higher."

"Sorry," a guilty smirk came upon his lips as he pulled his hand down. "I didn't notice."

She rolled her eyes as she leaned her elbow on the car door. "I should be asleep right now."

"Maybe if your sleeping schedule was arranged like a normal person," Josh started. "You wouldn't have this problem."

"Shh," CJ shushed him. "Nobody asked you."

Once they arrived to their destination, Josh turned the car off and stared at his girlfriend.

"Everything's gonna be okay," Josh told her as he grabbed her hand. "We have your medicine if anything happens. I'm gonna be with you the entire time. You don't even have to take the shirt off if you don't want to."