chapter eight :: holiday heroes

"CJ!" Jenna called from the living room.

"What?" CJ peaked her head out from the doorway of her bedroom.

"I need you to unpack these," Jenna said as she set three grocery bags on the counter. "Tyler is coming over and I need to wrap his present and he's on his way now."

"And you 'forgot' to mention this to me again?" CJ sassed as she opened the bags, seeing what Jenna purchased.

"You wouldn't have said yes anyway," Jenna told her as she pulled her coat off. "I still pay for half the rent, so I get rights in here."

CJ rolled her eyes as she began pulling stuff from the bags.

Jenna walked down the hallway to her room. "Please let Tyler in!" She said before closing her door.

CJ unpacked multiple trays of snacks, including cookies and vegetable trays. There was two rotisserie chickens, and two six packs of red bull, presumably for the night's new year celebration.

"All this for Tyler?" She whispered to herself as she shook her head.

Once she was finished, she sat on the love seat in the living room, flipping through all of the holiday movie reruns.

She settled on Home Alone, pulling the small blanket from the back of the couch and pulling her feet up. She held her knees to her chest, letting out a small laugh every time one of the thieves got hurt.

When there was a knock on the door, CJ got up and pulled her booty shorts down as much as they would let her, and pulled her large sweatshirt over them.

She opened the door, peeking her head out to assure that it was Tyler. However, she was surprised. Josh was also standing behind him.

"Hi." She said quietly as she opened the door wider, allowing them to step in.

"Where can I put these?" Josh asked, holding up three presents.

"Just um," she tugged her sleeves over her hands. "Under the tree."

Josh nodded and set the gifts down, then smiled as he saw what was playing on the tv. "I love this movie." He sat on the love seat as Tyler went to see Jenna.

"Mhm." CJ nodded and sat on the big couch, not really up for association.

The silence between them was tense due to their last encounter just a few days prior.

CJ was sprawled across the couch until Jenna and Tyler came out.

"Can we sit there?" Jenna asked CJ. 

And CJ, being the pushover she was, stood up from her spot. She stood for a few seconds as she watched the couple get situated, cuddling on the couch together.

"You can sit with me," Josh scooted over and made room for her. "It's your couch, after all."

CJ was quiet as she sat as far away from him as the couch would allow. She pulled her knees up and hugged them like she did previously.

For about five minutes, Josh watched as CJ shifted uncomfortably on the other side of the couch.

"You can lay down if you want." Josh told her.

"No," CJ shook her head. "You can stay there."

"No, I mean," Josh adjusted himself slightly. "You can like.. put your head on my shoulder. If you want."

CJ furrowed her eyebrows at him. "You want me to lean on you?"

"No," Josh shook his head, but then squeezed his eyes shut because of how his words sounded. "I mean yes - I-I-"

CJ let out a small laugh at his nervousness. "Thank you." She said, hoping to reassure him. She situated herself, pretty hesitant to practically cuddle with Josh.

"You're good." Josh nodded at her, telling her she was able to lean on him.

CJ slowly but surely leaned her head on his shoulder, playing with the hem of his tee shirt.

Josh began playing with her hair, running his fingers through her hair, occasionally massaging her scalp.

"Look." Jenn elbowed and whispered to Tyler, then pointed at Josh and CJ with a big smile on her face.

Not long after, CJ felt her eyes drooping, so she sat up.

"Is everything okay?" Josh asked.

"Yeah," CJ replied. "I just don't really wanna fall asleep yet. Jenna's gonna make dinner soon so.."

"Are you gonna stay up with us tonight?"

"For the countdown?"

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "It wouldn't be any fun without you."

CJ shook her head, then got up. Josh followed her to her room, closing the door behind him. CJ laid down on her back.

"Look." She told Josh. He laid down next to her in the same fashion.

Josh stared at the fluorescent green stars taped to her ceiling.

"That's where I wanna be," CJ said. "In the stars. Surrounded by bright, beautiful light."

"I'm already there." Josh said, turning his head to her, a smug smile on his lips.

CJ blushed pink and laughed a bit.

"What?"

"Nothing," CJ shook her head. "It's just that it doesn't seem... possible that somebody could say that. And to me, of all people."

"Anything is possible as long as your heart's beating." Josh told her.

"Does it matter how many times your heart beats?" She asked.

"Maybe."

"Than I guess we both have infinite possibilities." CJ whispered as Josh wrapped the tips of her hair around his finger.

Josh was being distracted by her lips as he whispered, "Maybe we can be one of those infinite possibilities."