chapter twenty six :: bruises on soft skin

"I got this for you." Josh handed CJ a gift bag.

"Why would you get me a gift?" CJ pulled the shirt out. "Aw."

The shirt had the twenty one pilots red and blue logo on it.

"I love it." CJ told him.

"Look at the back."

CJ turned it around and read the words out loud. "Reyes + Dun."

"It's one of a kind." Josh told her.

"I love it." CJ hugged him.

"Good," Josh pulled out another one from his drawer. "Because I have one too."

"Oh my gosh." CJ gushed as he held his out.

"Just for us." Josh smiled at her. "I was thinking that you could come with me today. Not just for the show, but the whole day. Like soundcheck and set up. It'd be a cool, having you there."

CJ took a deep breath before nodded. "Yeah."

"Thank you, baby." Josh pulled her into a tight hug. "It's gonna be so much fun."

"I'm excited," CJ told him. "I just need to bring my medicine and my glowsticks. Also your constant reassurance that I'll be okay."

"You're gonna be okay." Josh told her.

"This one is a snare and that's a hi-hat." Josh explained to CJ, who was sitting in his lap at his drum stool.

"This is impossible." Josh guided CJ's hands in a simple beat.

"Keep trying," Josh told her from over her shoulder. "You'll get it."

"How do you even do this for a living?" CJ remarked.

"With my big, strong arms." Josh laughed as he wrapped his arms around her waist, placing a few kisses on her neck.

"Stop," CJ whispered, holding his hands down in the spot that would not travel any farther. "There's people here."

"Nobody's even paying attention." Josh let his arms fall.

"Why don't we go get some food?" CJ suggested. "Before doors open and you have to leave me?"

"You mean visit the snack table?" Josh teased her.

"Food is food," CJ dragged him with her. "Besides, you can't perform on an empty stomach."

"You just want me to eat with you."

"Yeah," CJ nodded. "You know I can't eat alone."

When they approached the snack table, Tyler and Jenna were also there. Jenna offered CJ a smile, but CJ did not respond.

"Can you get some pictures of our shirts?" Josh handed his phone to Tyler.

"Move your hair." Josh pulled all of CJ's long, dark hair to one shoulder.

"Why?" CJ asked.

"Tyler is gonna take a picture of our shirts."

The pair stood, hand in hand, and posed for the picture.

Once CJ thought they were done, she looked at Josh with a smile, and Josh gratefully returned it. Tyler got a picture of that as well.

"Here." CJ fed Josh an oreo, and Josh did the same. Tyler was still snapping photos.

CJ covered her mouth as she chewed, staying as close as possible to Josh, basically hiding in front of him, so that she could eat without being nervous. Tyler also got a picture of Josh hugging CJ close.