chapter ten :: deluxe kisses

"Look," CJ slid onto the floor and picked a box up. "This one's for Jenna."

The others joined her with a sigh, giving each other sideward glances.

"Here," CJ pushed the presents around. "T-This is better than standing in the hallway."

Not better than kissing you, Josh thought.

Jenna opened hers, which turned out to be a Pandora bracelet, complete with a charm set.

"This is for you." Josh slid a box to CJ.

"Josh," CJ whined. "I didn't get you anything. You didn't have to do this."

"I don't care," Josh shrugged. "It's nothing, really."

CJ read the label, admiring how Josh wrote his name. Every scribble someway gave her a sense of comfort, especially knowing that Josh was the creator.

"I tried to do cursive so it would seem fancy," Josh told her. "But it didn't really work out. As you can tell."

"No," CJ shook her head. "It's legible."

"Open it." Josh said.

CJ carefully ripped the paper, trying her best not to make a mess.

"Josh," CJ pouted when he saw his gift. "I love it."

It was a decoration - a laser light show - meant for yards around the holidays. However, CJ had always wanted one just for her bedroom.

"How about you two go set that up?" Jenna suggested. "Tyler and I will set up for midnight.

CJ was eager as she ran to her bedroom, Josh following behind her.

"You good?" Josh chuckled as CJ tore the top off of the box.

"I just can't wait to see it," CJ pulled it out and plugged it in. "Ready?"

Josh grinned at how happy she looked. "Gopher it."

CJ aimed it at the wall and flipped the switch, then stared at the red and green lights in all. "Oh my gosh."

Josh liked the lights too, but he liked CJ even more.

CJ got up and stood in front of them, putting her arms up. Her eyes were closed with a content smile across her lips.

Since they were out of the room for a few minutes, the song Ribs was on.

"Come here." CJ told Josh. She did the same as he had done a few minutes prior. She grabbed his hands and swayed him back and forth.

"The lights," CJ said. "I love them. Thank you."

"They look great in here." Josh replied.

"They look great in your hair," CJ reached up and ruffled his blond hair. "You would look good with red hair."

"Thank you for boosting my very small ego."

"I honestly have no idea how to respond to compliments." CJ said. "Do I say thank you? Or I know?"

"We can practice." Josh suggested. "You are.. sort of beautiful."

CJ glanced to her side with a furrowed eyebrows. "Was that a compliment? Or an insult?"

"The beautiful part wasn't a lie," Josh said. "The sort of was."