chapter thirteen :: never attend again

I was Veronica Sawyer for Halloween u can't tell me nothing

I had to cut this chapter short bc I found dear Evan Hansen links sorry

tw// sexual assault

--

Jenna vividly remembered the night her and CJ met. However, CJ did not. She only knew what little details Jenna told her, and nothing else.

Jenna promised herself that she would never attend another college party for CJ. To honor what happened to her best friend.

Jenna had always been into the idea of girls helping girls, ever since she was old enough to understand the concept.

When she was in third grade, there was a group of boys who harassed her. They would tug at her pigtails and push her off the swings. She did not want that to happen to anybody else, even if she was too young to understand certain things.

CJ was passed out drunk, and high, in the frat bathroom.

Jenna was getting away from a drunk guy who was trying to grab her when she walked in on an unconscious CJ, laying on the bathroom floor.

"Oh my god." Jenna got down next to the first. She was confident in what she would do, but then she realized what had happened.

CJ's underwear and jeans were around her ankles. Evidence of what had happened was on her thigh.

"Um.." Jenna panicked a little before pulling her pants up and slapping her cheeks lightly. "Wake up. You have to wake up."

CJ groaned and turned her head to the side.

"We gotta get out of here." Jenna was focused on getting her up, but then she saw her neck. It was bruised with finger tips and a distorted palm mark.

CJ began coughing and heaving as she somewhat regained consciousness.

"Come on." Jenna used all of her strength and pulled CJ up.

"Wait-" CJ vomited down Jenna's shirt, which she could not have cared less about.

"Excuse me!" Jenna yelled as she navigated the crowds to get CJ out.

Jenna did not have a plan after she got CJ in the car.

"What's your name?" Jenna asked as she shook the girl lightly.

"Thank you." CJ had her head tilted back as she coughed.

"Step up." Jenna told CJ as she helped her up the steps of her family house.

"Jenna?" Her mother came out of her bedroom and turned the hall light on.

"Mom." Jenna looked at a drunken CJ and then back at her mother.

"Is everything okay?"

"My friend," Jenna struggled to come up with a name. "Sarah. She drank a little too much and I didn't want her to drive."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Jenna replied. "I just wanna make sure Sarah gets in bed okay."

"Well, keep her on her side." Her mother suggested. "So she doesn't choke."

"You're not mad at me?"

"Were you drinking?"

"No," Jenna shook her head. She was not lying. "I pride myself in being the designated driver."

"Good girl." Her mother gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Get Sarah in bed, okay?"

"Mhm." Jenna nodded before rushing into her room and settling CJ in bed. She slid CJ's shoes off and took her jacket off. She made sure CJ was comfortable before she was.

Jenna and CJ became the best of friends after that.

Only Jenna had felt guilty.

Their whole friendship was based on a lie.

"Nothing happened."