chapter seven :: chistmas pa(nxiety)rty

it's a long one

@ gif - including me ;))

--

"CJ?" Jenna peaked her head into CJ's bedroom. "I have a question."

CJ grunted as she was laying on her stomach, her blanket completely covering her.

"Tyler's family is having a party tonight," Jenna started. "Do you wanna come?"

"You said party." CJ pointed out.

"...Yeah. I did."

"You should already know I'm not coming."

"But J," Jenna sat on the edge of the bed. "I'm meeting his parents. I need my best friend there to support me."

To say no, CJ turned the other way.

"Fine," Jenna shrugged. "But Josh wanted me to tell you that he's gonna miss you."

CJ was hesitant, but she slowly pulled her blanket from her face. "Josh is gonna be there?"

"Your new love interest that isn't a fictional character?" Jenna joked. "Of course he is."

CJ scoffed and turned her head from Jenna.

"J, it was a joke." Jenna told her as she pulled the blanket off of her. "Please?"

"Jenna," CJ groaned as she covered her eyes. "That's socializing."

"I'll let you wear one of my dresses a-and I'll buy you another set of lights."

CJ opened one eye. "What color?"

"Whatever color you want."

CJ sighed. "What time?"

"Five," Jenna replied. "I'll do your hair and makeup if you want."

"Assuming I actually get out of bed."

"I will drag you out of this bed," Jenna told her. "And you know that. It's already three thirty and I still need to get ready."

"You're such a pain." CJ tossed a pillow at her.

💚🎄💚

"J," Jenna whined. "It'll look good."

"No," CJ shook her head. "It'll make my teeth look all bad a-and it'll draw so much attention I-"

"Shh." Jenna grabbed CJ's jaw and began applying a festive red lipstick. "It looks so good on you - your blue eyes and pale skin. It really brings out some really good features."

"I actually hate you." CJ said when Jenna was finished. "I need my medicine."

"You already took your dose this morning," Jenna told her. "Are you sure?"

"I take it as needed," CJ replied. "So I need it."

"Well maybe," Jenna paused as she swept a highlight on both of CJ's cheek bones. "You don't really need it tonight?"

CJ sighed, but decided to keep her thoughts to herself. "Okay."

"Tyler's gonna be here soon to pick us up, so try to look like you're actually not sick of seeing him?" Jenna asked.

"I don't hate him," CJ said. "It's just the anxiety that hates him."

Jenna turned her best friend to the mirror. "Look."

CJ leaned forward and examined herself, tucking her loosely curled hair behind her ears. She was glowing, literally, with the highlighter that Jenna used. And Jenna was right - the lipstick really did bring out all of the features that CJ never really saw as pretty.