chapter sixteen :: rain rain go away

CJ was preparing for the impending storm that has been covered on the news for the past week. She had always been some what afraid of the storms.

She recalled running to her parents room when she five or six. She had always been closer to her father, so she tugged the blanket from his side of the bed.

"What is it, Jayce?" Her father asked quietly to avoid waking her mother.

"The thunder," CJ pointed to the window. "It's scary."

"Come here, kiddo." Her father picked the blanket up and motioned for her to get on the bed.

Those were CJ's good memories and that was healthy way of dealing with her fears. However, as she grew older, her techniques of dealing became more and more toxic.

"Jenna," CJ whined. "You can't leave."

"I need to go," Jenna replied. "You know I work this schedule. I even posted it on the fridge for you."

"I know," CJ said. "But.. it's gonna rain hard. I don't want you to get stuck in the storm."

"You're complaining for yourself," Jenna told her. "Not for me."

CJ gave Jenna a dumbfounded look.

"What?" Jenna asked. "It's the truth."

"Just make sure to be careful." CJ rubbed her arm self-conciously.

"I didn't mean it, J," Jenna sighed. "I'm just not having a good day."

"No," CJ shook her head. "You're right. I'm too dependent."

"You'll be fine," Jenna reassured. "The rain isn't out to get you."

"Mhm," CJ nodded convincingly. "It's not."

"If you need anything-" Jenna stopped herself. "If there is an emergency, call me."

CJ simply nodded and watched her best friend walk out of the door. She took a deep breath before heading into her room. Before closing her blackout curtains, she turned all of her lights on. She even took the necklace that Josh got her for christmas and draped it over her neck. She figured she would try to sleep through the storm.

However, she could not get comfortable. Her head was spinning and she was cold. Everything, every sound around her was bothering her.

Even her thoughts.

She finally gave up after she heard the first thunder clap of the storm and she decided to call Josh.

"CJ," Josh answered. "What's up?"

"I, um," she played with one of the tiny plastic light bulbs on the necklace as she studied the stars on her ceiling. "I wanted to know if you're busy."

"Not right now," Josh replied. "Why?"

"Can you come over?" CJ tried her best to keep herself together. "Please?"

"Yeah," Josh agreed. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," CJ bit her bottom lip hard to stop it from quivering. "I-I just don't like being alone during storms."

"I'll be there soon," Josh told her. "Hang in there, okay?"

"Mhm." CJ nodded before hanging up.

Josh arrived shortly, his hair dripping and his shoulders wet. He was surprised when he turned the door handle and it was unlocked. He figured CJ was one to lock the door. When he closed the door, he heard quiet sobs from CJ's bedroom.