A Little Misunderstood

"Star," Marco spoke softly from across the lunch table. "Is everything okay with you?"
Star looked up at him, "What do you mean?" She asked.
"Today you seemed...sorta down." Marco shrugged, not really knowing what to say. When talking to Star, he felt like he knew nothing about her. Who were her parents? Where does she live? Does she have siblings? What was her favorite color?
He decided to find out the answer to all these questions—even if they were silly—by inviting her over to his house for nachos. Of course, Star said she'd love to go.
~
By the time school was over, Marco and Star made their way towards Marco's house. The two chatted about random things like why the sky was blue or why Marco always wore red hoodies. It was nice.
When they reached Marco's house, the Mexican teen opened the door for his friend and then walked in after her.
Star took a look around. She hadn't been in a house this nice in years. "Marco, your house is so nice looking!" The blonde exclaimed, getting rather excited.
"I guess—" Marco shrugged, but was interrupted by the sound of his mother's gasp.
"Oh mi hijo!" Mrs. Díaz spoke, "Who's this?" She asked.
"Oh um, Star, this is my mom." Marco said, "And mom this is my friend, Star."
"Pleasure to meet you!" Mrs. Díaz smiled.
"You too," Star smiled back.
"Well I'll be at the grocery store. Marco call me if you need anything. Adiós!" Mrs. Díaz waved and walked out the door.
"Your mom seems sweet." Star said, looking at Marco.
Marco rubbed the back of his neck, "Eh." He shrugged and then led Star to his room.
"And this is where I sleep."
Star walked into his room, looking around. "It's very nice." She took a seat on his desk chair and spun around in it.
"Looks like I'm not the only one that does that." The brunette chuckled and sat on his bed. "Star," he started, but stopped himself for a brief moment. Marco swallowed hard, wondering if he should ask her if she was okay again. "are y—what's your favorite color?" He blurted out randomly.
Dammit, you chickened out!
Marco thought.
Star looked at him, "Good question. I like all of them!" She grinned.
The brown-eyed boy smiled at her answer. He thought it was cute. When he finally got the courage to ask her if she was doing alright, his dad decided to screw things up and barge in on them.
"Marco!" Mr. Díaz exclaimed, "You didn't introduce me to your friend yet!" He chuckled.
"Right," Marco nodded and let out a sigh. "Star this is my dad, dad this is Star."
"A little more enthusiastic next time, aye?" Mr. Díaz chuckled again, shaking Star's hand. "So nice to meet you!"
Star smiled brightly at him and shook his hand too. "Oh! You too."
"Well, I'll leave you two alone." Mr. Díaz waved before leaving the room.
"Star, I've been wondering...are you okay? You seemed pretty out of shape today. I got a little worried." Marco fiddled with his fingers.
Star stared at him.
He cares. Don't screw this up.
"Of course everything's okay Marco!" The blonde reassured him, "No need to worry."
Marco frowned. That was not the answer he was looking for, "So, now that you've met my parents...when am I gonna meet yours? I'm sure they're way cooler."
"They're not." Star said quickly, looking away from him. "They're very busy people and I don't think that'd be a good idea. Sorry Marco." She frowned and rubbed her arm.
"Oh. I know how you feel. Maybe you can invite me to your house then—"
"That's really not a good idea either. My parents would never let anyone over!" Star felt terrible that she was lying like this to her friend. Marco didn't deserve this.
Marco nodded as if he understood her problem, but he really didn't. What really was going on at the Butterfly household that he didn't know about?
"You said you knew that girl Janna right?" Marco asked Star quickly.
"Oh yeah," She nodded. "We go way back sorta, why?"
"Oh, no reason. I just thought you knew no one coming to this school."
This was it. Marco's ticket to finding more about Star without making her uncomfortable. Janna. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?