Date Night

The only thing Marco Diaz was one hundred percent sure about in his life was his massive crush on his classmate, Jackie Lynn Thomas. Her sea green eyes and her sideways smile...The way she flipped her hair when removing her helmet and stepping off her skateboard in the hallways...The way she would ask Marco for help in Algebra class all of the time. It drove the boy crazy for years and he thought it would be driving him crazy for decades until a particularly quirky girl came around.

Suddenly Marco wasn't paying attention to the way Jackie was flipping her hair out of her helmet, or the way she pestered him with math questions twenty times a class, or even the crooked smile that would appear on her face after he had helped her. Instead, Marco was much more concentrated on deathly missions and reckless actions. And when Jackie Lynn Thomas got off her skateboard right in front of Marco Diaz after school for the first time ever, Marco didn't even notice.

"Marco? Are you listening?"

"St—oh hey Jackie." Marco visibly slouched and closed his locker door.

"Maybe I should come back another time," Jackie stepped on her board and turned.

"No wait! What's up?" He moved in front of her and smiled.

"Well, I was sorta hoping you could come hang with me tonight." Jackie shrugged, "My parents are on some crazy vacation and I didn't want to be stuck at home with nothing to do."

"Oh, I should probably check with Star firs—"

"Star?" She rose an eyebrow at him. "Are you two dating?"

"What! No! Hahaha, of course not! Why would we be?" Marco began to sweat a little.

"I dunno, cause you need to ask her permission before going out with me."

"G-going o-out?" He stuttered and the sweat trickled down his face.

"If you insist that Star isn't your girlfriend, then I guess I'll see you tonight!" Jackie flashed her smile and pat Marco's shoulder before riding away from him and leaving him speechless and shocked. Did the girl of his wildest dreams just ask him out? Why wasn't he unconscious on the ground yet?

"Hey Marco! Ready to walk home?" Star Butterfly, his bestest friend in the entire world, had walked up to him with the biggest smile.

That smile.
Marco turned to his best friend and nodded, returning the smile.

"You look rather happy, did Jackie Lynn have anything to do with that?" Star pestered her best friend.

"You saw that?" Marco rubbed his arm uncomfortably.

"Of course I did! What'd she say?"

"Nothing important." He shrugged.
Nothing important. Just the girl he loved for years asking him out on a date. How was that nothing important? A few months ago that would be the opposite of nothing important. So why did Marco suddenly pass it off as nothing important?

That smile.

Star Butterfly recognized the platinum blonde in front of Marco in seconds. She huffed, her cheeks reddening. She didn't know why they were, but they were burning. Was she angry? What was Jackie discussing with her best friend? Should she end the discussion? No, that's not fair to Marco. Star knew Jackie was the love of his life and she would never want to ruin his chances of being with her. So Star watched the two talk from a distance, sighing and leaning her head on a locker. She would kill to be in Jackie's position. To have a wonderful person be in love with her would be just so ideal. Jackie finally left Marco and Star was able to approach him. She didn't pester him too much. It seemed like her best friend wasn't as excited as she had expected.