Up All Night

"Hello? Please, I need to see my best friend, I need to tell her I love her."

Star was frozen. She swore she could hear Marco's words repeating over and over in her head. He loved her. Her chest felt heavy and her heart skipped a beat as her cheeks flushed pink. She was stuck in the moment, attempting to comprehend exactly what she just heard. Her best friend was in love with her...he loved her back!

Star placed both hands on the computer-like screen in front of her to steady herself. She balanced, knowing very well what would happen if she'd let go. What happens next? Her best friend reciprocated her feelings—except even more than before because this time he said love—were they supposed to try and act on them again? Would it hurt their friendship?

Marco interrupted Star's thoughts. "Hello? You haven't answered me and it's been like 5 minutes. Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," Star squeaked. "Your tests, right." She looked down at the screen, reanalyzing the results she had just read a moment ago. "You're fine. I thought I saw something, but it was a mistake."

Star and Marco let out a sigh of relief simultaneously.

"Alright, can I leave? I sorta have to talk to someone..." Marco repeated.

"Star, yes." The princess released Marco's cuffs and watched him sit up. "She's closer than you think." She muttered nervously.

Marco's eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "Alright..." He shoved himself off the metal table and walked over to the person he thought was just another guard. "It was nice talking to you."

"A-huh." Star hid her face, freaking out over what she should do. The obvious answer was to reveal herself, but she felt very self conscious and guilty all of the sudden.

"Nice to meet you Rob. Thanks for treating me like a human." Marco chuckled and Star had to balance herself on the computer screen beside her. She noticed he held out his hand. She must've stared at it for too long because she saw her best friend's expression change.

"You must not do this on Mewni, it's a handshake." Marco explained and then grabbed Star's hand, about to shake it.

Star squeaked and pulled Marco into an embrace.

Marco's expression morphed quickly and his eyes widened. "Wait..." He caught a glimpse of bright blonde hair and his mouth fell. "Star?"

"Yes, Star." Star felt emotional. "You should go back to Earth with Janna and Jackie now. You idiot..." She grumbled, sniffling at the same time.

"Wait—what? You were the guard this whole time?"

Star nodded, noticing how pale her best friend had become. "Surprise."

"So, you heard everything I just said." Marco hugged Star tighter. "It's the truth."

Star looked up at Marco with a glint of grief in her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You should be. I emotionally confessed to a guard, I've really let myself go." He looked down at her, smirking.

"Marco..." Star punched his arm gently. She couldn't help but smile.

"Why do you want me to go back to Earth?" Marco frowned, grabbing Star's shoulders so he could face her. "Is that your form of rejection?"

"What? No! Marco, I care about you so much. It's just, I don't deserve someone as special as you. I didn't trust you when I should've, I let the guards take you away! I suck." Star rubbed her face.

"Star, no one is perfect. Clearly, you feel bad about this. Let's just let it go." Marco shrugged. "I can't believe you think I'm so special that you don't deserve me. That's a load of BS."

"BS?" Star tilted her head.

"Crap."

"Oh."

"Star, I can go down the list of reasons why I feel the way I feel about you—"

Star cut him off, blushing profusely. "And I could do the same, but we shouldn't. We shouldn't do this..."

"No, don't say that." Marco's shoulders dropped and his expression saddened. "Star, I love you. Do you hear that?" He grabbed her face. "You can't stop that."

Star bit her lip, not meeting his eyes. "It would be selfish of me."

"What? What would be selfish??" Marco questioned frantically.

"T-to keep you stuck on this dimension just for the sake of your company. I can't ask you to do that!"

"You're just thinking of excuses now." Marco released Star's face and crossed his arms.

"I...I'm not. Think about this, I'm from a completely different dimension and I already got you into big trouble once! I-I'm a terrible best friend." Star broke down, placing her hands onto her face to hide the tears rushing down her cheeks.

Marco frowned and pulled Star into a tight embrace. "I got you. I'm here."

"I...I don't want to lose you!"

"You won't. Just don't push me away. You're my best friend, we have to be there for each other no matter what."

Star hugged him tightly, drowning in his scent and comfort. She began to realize something. When Star had first met Marco, she didn't belong anywhere. She was a lost girl, living on scraps and rough pavement. She had nearly given up. Marco had always treated Star as a human being, even after he found out she was homeless. He even went as far as to giving her a home. But now, Star realized Marco gave her something much more. No matter where she was, no matter what circumstance she was in, and no matter where life would take her after this moment, she knew she would never be homeless again. Not because she finally found a home, not because she traveled back to Mewni, but because Marco was her home. He'd always be there for her no matter what.

Star's heart skipped a beat. She let go of Marco.

Marco gave her a puzzled look but let go as well. She had stopped crying. "Do you feel better?"

Star's eyes filled up with tears again.

"Oh, Star please don't cry—"

"Marco!" She wept, "What would I do without you?"

"Are you kidding?" Marco's ears burned and his eyes stung. "Before I met you I was nothing! You're one of the best things that's ever happened to me!"

Star grabbed his face, sniffling. She looked up at him through her tears and before she knew what she was doing she finally kissed him.

"I love you too."