Fake You Out

Star crept into the dungeon quietly. She was trying to decide if she should go through with the tests on Marco herself. She knew in her mind if someone would examine her best friend, it would be her because the sheer thought of him being touched or hurt by someone else made her blood boil.

"Ready to get examined?" She cleared her throat when she reached the right cell.

Marco looked up at her, almost as if he saw through her, and narrowed his eyebrows. He nodded slowly.

The door opened.

Marco stood but struggled since his hands were cuffed. "What exactly do you mean by examine?" 

"Oh, you know...just the usual tests—actually I don't know. Why're you asking me this? You need to keep your mouth shut."

"Sorry..." The teen's shoulder's sank low and he dropped his head.

Star watched Marco with her peripheral vision. She frowned. "What's with the droopy shoulders?"

Marco looked up. "All my friends don't trust me anymore," He sighed and then continued, "Even my best friend Star,"

Star stopped walking. She considered revealing herself to Marco and apologizing a thousand times but she knew the trouble they would get in if they got caught.

"You know, out of everyone I expected her to be the one to stand up for me. She didn't though...maybe I am a monster."

The conversation made Star wince unnoticeably.

"I'm sure your friends are just worried about you," She covered her face anxiously and hid the tone of her voice. "Don't overthink the situation too much, uh...dude."

"Everything was so weird out there. I was talking to Toffee and then I was blasting him away from Star. I don't remember anything in between. Do you think that's a bad sign?"

Star sighed. "Even if it was, I'm sure it isn't your fault. Don't be so harsh on yourself. Also, let's change the conversation please."

"You sound pretty young to be an examiner. What's your name?"

"Oh-uh.." Star searched for names in her mind until she finally blurted out, "Rob, uh...the names Rob."

"I'm Marco."

"Cool..." Star walked up the stairs and out of the dungeon.

Maybe this was a bad idea after all.

She stopped Marco and looked both ways before entering the main rooms of the castle. Then she grabbed the chain on his hands and began rushing down the halls.

"Why're you going so fast?" Marco stumbled along behind her.

"Shh!" Star stopped when they reached a door.

"Why do we have to be quiet?" Marco whispered before getting shoved into the small room.

"Because! Um...everyone's asleep! But we're fine now." Star shut the door and released a breath of air in relief. "Sit on that table."