Sick Defeat

"Put her down or I'll blast." Marco said with an icy tone that surprised Star. She noticed his eyes glittered with green specks and it worried her.

What did Toffee do to Marco that caused him to act this way? Sure, he was attempting to help her, but he wasn't acting like himself. It was unfortunate that it had been a whole week since she last saw her best friend and she would be lying if she said she didn't feel guilty. She could've done more, she could've sent guards on search parties but instead she chose to believe her best friend was dead. Why did she so easily believe Toffee anyways? He was a monster with cruel intentions and she was too busy being emotional to notice. Star snapped back to reality when she felt a wave of heat blast beside her face. Marco had shot Rasticore with her hand, which had sent her stumbling to the ground in shock.

Rasticore yelled in pain seconds before disintegrating the same way his cousin did minutes prior.

Star looked at Marco as an unsettling silence fell across the battle grounds. Before she could process anything, she noticed her parents rushing towards her from the opposite direction.

"Mom! Dad!" The Princess bolted towards them and the three embraced.

"Honey!" The King exclaimed with glee, "We've missed you so so much."

"We saw everything, Star. The monsters, they trapped us! It was torture to have to see what you were going through but we are so very proud of you." Queen Butterfly couldn't sigh in relief enough.

"That boy, who is he?" Star's father let her go. "And why does he have your wand? Guards!! Put that boy in the dungeon and send the rest off to the prison dimension!"

"Wait! No! That's my best friend, Marco Diaz...h-he means no harm.." Star stuttered with hesitation and looked at Marco. Her eyes gleamed with worry and panic as she watched him continue to clutch her wand with possession.

"Star, we saw the battle. That boy clearly has the wrong intentions. He cannot be trusted and he should not have your wand in his hands!" Queen Moon watched with satisfaction as her guards approached Marco and chained him, removing the wand from his hands.

"Wait—You have the wrong idea..." Star couldn't bear to watch Marco struggle against the guards. "Let me go! Get off of me!" Her heart sank hearing his pleas.

Jackie turned to Star, "What's going on Star?"

Star sighed sadly, "Marco is a threat to the kingdom..."

It was difficult to admit, but she knew she had to be true to herself. She couldn't let Marco roam around freely when she didn't recognize him, where'd he go? It pained her to hear her best friends protests and she wished things could have gone differently.

"Star!" Marco called out across the field from her. "Don't let them take me to the dungeon! Please!"

Star winced at his words and struggled to ignore him.

"Shut it kid! The princess has far more important things to deal with than you."

Marco shook his head in disbelief, "Jackie? Janna?" He looked at his two friends who both avoided eye contact with him. "Tom! Tom, buddy—" He glanced at him with desperation, "You gotta tell them to let me go, you're on my side, remember?"

Tom looked down, avoiding eye contact as well. "Sorry bud." He fiddled with his fingers.

"I said shut it!" The guard smacked Marco across the head and he hissed in pain.

"Hey!" Star approached the guard quicker than she could blink. "Don't abuse him. Just take him to the dungeon—"

"Star," Marco frantically caught her eye, "Why're you doing this? I thought we trusted each other..."