Chapter One - "I don't need to be in love to know.."

This is the first story that I've been working on for more than like a day. I really want to give this a shot, and I hope you all enjoy this, as I will enjoy putting it together. My little labor of love. BTW the picture on the sidebar is what Paul looks like!!! Enjoy!

It's eighth period and I have totally checked out of the discussion that is happening. Mr. Kellenbas was talking about triangles or derivatives or something mathematical like that, but if I'm being totally honest, I could really give two craps as to what this man is saying to me. Math is and always will be my worst subject and by some miracle I am still able to pass this class.

Because I am the most mathematically challenged of all my friends, I have to endure this class alone since they all took advanced math, which sucks ass because I'm so bored. I get a text from Brad and he's all mad because Mandy, the school slut, turned him down at lunch even after he had laid out this big elaborate speech for her stating why they were a match made in heaven. Her rejection wasn't even quiet, like a "I'm sorry but I'm just not into you" type thing. She busted out laughing in front of everyone, and because she's so "popular", all eyes were on them. All she had to say was:

"You really think I'd go out with a LOSER like you?! I'd rather date Cameron Jom, and he has fucking erectile dysfunction!"

And with that she walked away with her clique of sluts. They were probably looking to give out congratulatory blowjobs for that show she gave to the student body. That was such a bitch move, especially to someone like Brad.

He hates me when I say this, but he's pretty damn hot. If I'm like a six on the hot-o-meter, he'd be a 9.3 (he's not a ten because he's my friend and unhealthily gross). 5'11, beach body, brown hair and gray eyes, he's a killer. He can literally have any girl in this school, and he chose Mandy's slutty ass. Also, no shame in being a hoe, but they make it their whole personality so...no.

The thing with Brad is that if he liked Mandy there must be something else to her other than her slutty habits, but I still don't know what that is yet.

Just as I'm about to respond to the text Mr. Kellenbas yells "POP QUIZ!"

My head jumps up and I groan. I didn't even open my notebook or do yesterdays homework. I'm about to fail this quiz so bad. My dad said if I fail this class he's sending me to private school, and I really don't want that. I love this school (as odd as this sounds), and this town. Shipping me over to Woodstock three towns down to continue my education would not be the life I want to live. I take the paper from Sarah and guess like my life depended on it. Thank god it's multiple choice.

****

"I feel so bad for him, he really hoped she would go for him."

"You need to be realistic, when do the sluts ever date the good and almost-just-as-slutty guy?'

I explain this to Caroline on the phone as I'm walking home. Since she didn't come to school today she heard about the fiasco from one of the sluts on Facebook and called me as soon as classes let out.

"You are way too pessimistic. It happens sometimes. I mean look at my sister and Kyle, they made the fantasy a reality and are still together."

Caroline has this tendency to being up her sister Carly and her fiance Kyle every time I decide to be pessimistic as a way to scold me and prove me wrong. As the story goes, Carly 'got around' when she was in our year at school and got pregnant by some guy who was like 5 years older and from another state or whatever.

When Carly was giving birth to her daughter Riley (who is cute as shit btw), she met a boy in the delivery room who just lost his girlfriend and his son during childbirth. He was 23 at the time, going through a rough time, and was just mad at the world. Carly spent most of her time talking to him and getting him to stay calm, and that's all she wrote. I mean, they didn't get together right on the spot, but they made it to that point, and Caroline see's it as her ray of hope.

Yes, that is a one in a million shot at love, but it's one in a million for a reason. Most seventeen year old girls don't find love in a delivery room with a widowed man. Yes, I believe love like that is amazing, but you need to be realistic about it too, not everyone ends up happy like they are. Caroline won't accept that and fights me on that every single time.

"You're just upset because you've never been in love."

"I don't need to be in love to know how to be realistic about things like that, I read books. Plus, I knew Mandy wasn't gonna go for Brad and I told him yesterday not to do what he did, but he doesn't listen to me, as usual. Maybe now he will."

"Whatever Mike. I gotta go, I have to babysit Riley and Kyle just brought her over. Call ya later bye." *click*

RUDE. I shove my phone in my pocket and walk the rest of the way home. The great thing about this town is that nothing is too far away. I live basically 15 minutes away from the school, and even during the winter it's not that bad a walk. Luckily winter is over and the nice April air is setting in, the sun is shining bright, and the day could not be any better. I run into the wooden pole directly in front of me and fall flat on my back. How did I not see this?! Oh right, the sun..

"Dude, are you Okay?"

The sun is still affecting my eyes while I try to focus on the voice asking me if im alright. As my vision starts to clear up I see a pair of bright clear blue eyes, and I know those eyes anywhere. Paul Welmings. Paul fucking Welmings.

This boy has been in almost all of my fantasies since sophomore year when I saw him half naked in gym last year every other day. He was an eleven on the hot-o-meter. He had these eyes that looked through you, that perfect light brown/dark blond hair and standing at 6'3, he was the definition of a god. And he was nice! He wasn't the douchebag type of guy who took his looks to the head. He was considerate and flawed like all of us. He wears prescription glasses in English every day like a sexy hipster boy you find on Tumblr. He's offering his hand to me.

"Yeah, I'm okay, my bag broke the fall a bit."

"That's good, I saw you look up and I was like 'is he gonna see the pole in time". I guess not. "Wait, you're in my English class right, with Ms. Crode?"

"Yeah, I am actually, I sit like three seats next to you I think. I'm Mike by the way."

"Oh I know you, you're friends with Brad and Jayna. Just wasn't sure if we had class together this year."

I look at him with wonder. He knows my name? That's so weird, but then again he probably knows my name because of Brad and Jayna. Jayna is basically popular and while Brad isn't "popular" per say, people know him. I'm almost at the end of the food chain, just above the AV club and the key club. I know I'm more popular than that but I feel lower on the pole than i am. I'm just glad I was their friends before popularity became a thing. He looks at me with those eyes again and I start to lose my senses a little, bit out in the open.

"Babe, are you done over there?" I hear a voice. Raine Renyolds.

I want to hate her for having this god that looks before me as a boyfriend (and almost having the same last name as me), but she's also one of the nicest (to me anyways) girls in my grade. A lot of girls don't like her for reasons I don't understand because I'm not female, but she seems okay. She's a little impatient since Paul came over here to help me out.

"I'm coming babe." He yells over to her. "It was cool chatting with you, we should talk again soon." and he walks away.

If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn I saw a wink in my direction before he fully turned around. But then I realized my eyes are still hazy from the bright sun rays.

 Yep, definitely daydreamin'.

How was this for a first chapter? Comment and let me know :D