7- Temper (/)

Chapter Seven

Thanks for the reads/likes!!!!! :)  

Lunch is a boisterous and crowded affair. The lower dining area is closed at the moment, and the reason is unclear to me, but I think it has something to do with "efficiency". At least, that's what I overheard Tony and Steve saying. So we're eating in this cramped room, which is supposed to be an office- there are several desks pushed into the corner to make room for the tables that come together to make a large one big enough for all of us.

I find Leah with Jane, happily talking about something going on in school. School. Ha. I had forgotten what that was. Leah, however, looks perfectly content, and Jane smiles eagerly as Leah will not shut up about some art project of hers.

I take a plate of fruit and, deciding against eating in a corner again, unhappily sit at the end of the table, between Jane and Tony. Thor is next to Jane, and next to him is his brother, whom I have been avoiding conversation with on purpose.

My attention is averted to Tony as he turns to me.

"That's all you're eating?" he asks genially. He is on his fourth chicken wing. At least. "Puny thing like you should eat more."

I don't reply as I distractedly push some grapes around my plate with my fork so that they go tumbling around, like little buttons. I'm not hungry, and my scar is tingling uncomfortably.

The air in the room begins to feel too tight, and I try to ignore it. I try eating a grape, but I gag and spit it back out- nobody notices, thankfully. The taste even of my favorite fruit is unappealing to me right now. Why?

The voices in the room begin to spin and swirl together.

"The base of-"

"Ms. Mortenson said mine was the best! And-"

"C'mon, Bruce, you've had-"

"No, you have-"

"It's impossible. Don't think that you-"

Somewhere, I hear my name vaguely, but I can't pinpoint it exactly. I begin to pant, and then my vision becomes clear again. I realize that three pairs of eyes are on me: Tony, who is asking me to pass the bread basket, and Loki and Thor, who are looking at me. I turn away quickly and practically toss Tony the bread basket.

"Thanks, Thea. Hey, want to help me and Banner in the lab after lunch?"

"No," I say shortly, although I'm pretty sure my voice is drowned out by Leah's happy gabble.

"Meredith is the most annoying girl in the universe, but we get along okay. She lent me my crayon box once, which was nice of her because I'd forgotten mine at home."

I grab my head and focus on the intricate wooden designs of the table.

"And she invited me to her party last month," Leah says proudly.

"That sounds like fun," Jane smiles. "What did you do?"

"Well... " Leah goes on to talk about Meredith's party, something I remember clearly from a while ago. I hadn't heard the end of it for at least two weeks. Jane keeps encouraging her to keep talking, and even though Thor is talking to Loki in a low voice, he too, shows signs of enthusiasm.

"...And that's okay, because..."

My head is throbbing, and I feel angry words rush to my head as other conversations loop through the room, most of which I cannot decipher except for one piping voice.

"And Lizz has a dog named Rice. He's a fluffy dog. A lap dog. And he let me pet him."

"He sounds very cute," smiles Jane. "I would love to hear more about him." She hugs Leah and kisses the top of her head. I think I'm about to explode.