14- I Don't Know How You Do It (*)

Here's another chapter! :) Thanks for the reads!

Chapter Fourteen

~Thea's POV~

Dr. Banner tries fruitlessly to tell me what Loki did. Each time, however, I either ignore his attempts or beg him to stop. Finally, he does, going back to his stupid charts.

 When Leah tries to talk to me, I ignore her bright, sad blue eyes as well, turning my back to her, closing my eyes, and leaning against the steel wall. Her pitiful prods to get me to talk to her receive no response whatsoever. Eventually, I hear her turn away. Seconds later, I hear Dr. Banner's low voice saying something to her, but I cannot understand what he is saying. I don't really care, either.

I feel not only mentally corrupted, sick, and exhausted, but also physically shaken for what Loki has done to me. I cannot seem to get my body to stop quivering, and my skin has turned clammy, but I am shivering- I now have a first hand experience as to what "cold sweat" is.

Images keep floating through my head, haunting my thoughts, and they no longer just include the sharp-fanged monsters from the attack. Now, I see darkness and moving bodies. It's all I can do to not begin to cry again. I think I've cried enough.

I'm not completely sure why Loki's threat had such an impact on me, but I do know one thing. For the first time, Loki had frightened me- really frightened me. Now, alongside with the nightmare-ish visions I have in my head, I see his cold, perceptive glare and his harsh words and actions.

What also concerns me is how he knew about his past. Loki may be brilliant, but he is no mind reader. How he found out about...certain events is startling, and how he has manipulated me is even more disturbing. What I find most alarming, however, is if Loki knows that means one of two things: he has probably told everyone on board, or someone on board- my thoughts train to Director Fury- knew and told everyone. Loki, however, is the only one who decided to use my weakness against me. Surprise, surprise.

All I want to know is what is going on. Still feeling that my limbs are weak and that I am going to fall over, I hesitantly sit up. "I'm going to the bathroom," I say, knowing full well that the shelter bathroom is under repair at this very minute.

Dr. Banner looks up and for the fleetest of seconds, he keeps eye contact with me. Then, he says casually, "It's on the second door to the left, after the first turn."

"Okay," I squeak, trying to hurry out of the room as quickly as possible. Ignoring the second door to the left after the first turn, I retrace the path that Thor and I had taken about an hour and a half ago. It takes me up onto the main level, which I do not care to be on. So, I stick to the edges of the walkway, and get up to the third level without much problems.

I soon come to an overpass, looking over a control room. The giant glass panels are sparkly clean, and only a few agents and workers mill about. I lean over the rail, where there is no glass so that I am leaning over the edge.

Immediately, I jerk back down, below the wooden panel. One quick glance had told me that Loki, Thor, Jane, and a few other people were down there. Loki and Jane's backs are to me; Loki had just come out of a side room, and I don't think Thor saw me, but I can't be sure.

A few minutes later, I hesitantly peek over the panel. I am too high up to hear, but I spot another layer of railing right below mine. A door at the end of the hallway obviously leads to it. Quickly, I move down the hallway, trying not to be seen through the glass panels, and open the door to the stairway as quietly as possible.

Sure enough, there is another layer of walkway, this time made of either solid iron or steel, with iron railings. The voices are definitely more clear as I creep along the wall. I lean down, with my ear as close to the railing as possible.