16- Dangerous Plans

Enjoy! :) 

Dedicated to marvelously_crazed, who made a lovely cover for me, which I will be putting up sometime this week! Thanks lovely and continue to write great things!

Chapter Sixteen

~Nobody's POV~

"Did the Imeldi actually think Thea knew where this source...whatever that is... is?" asks Fury.

It has been two days since the attack. There had been twelve losses, but very little damage to the ship. Thea had woken up yesterday afternoon, no worse for wear, except very shaken and with a sore arm where Kafrandi had struck her. Leah, too, was very frightened, but otherwise safe. Finally, Fury had decided to assemble the Avengers together- plus Loki and Jane, knowing that the future needed to be decided.

"Yes, perhaps," says Thor. "But I do not think she does, nor do I think the Imeldi truly believe she does. They simply used her and Leah as agents to discover the locations of the vessel. I believe their true target was S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Thea said she heard voices," says Natasha quietly. "I don't think the effects of the Nitri- the Imeldi poison- have completely worn off."

"What did these voices say?" Fury asks.

Natasha seems a little annoyed that Fury cares more for the information than the girl's safety. However, she keeps her face relatively passive as she answers, "She said Lahyri had been speaking to that snake thing. And that they wanted to talk to her."

"More like torture," says Banner.

"Which is why I ordered Thea to stay in the shelter with you," says Loki, speaking up finally. "And, unsurprisingly, she didn't listen."

"Why did she not?" asks Thor. "By all means, why would a girl her age wish to delve into a battle scene."

Unexpectedly, it is Natasha who answers. "She said that Lahyri would use Leah. I think she was trying to get to the Imeldi before they found Leah."

"You know," comments Tony, "Even though she's a pain in the neck, you have to admit that she really cares about her sister."

"She almost got killed for it," says Loki angrily. "If she had listened, then-"

"It's called love," snaps Natasha. "Try some of it on, why don't you?"

Loki says nothing.

"The point," says Fury, interrupting Natasha and Loki's glowering match, "Is that we must decide not only what to do with these girls, but also about the Imeldi in general."

"They will return," says Thor ominously. "That, I do not doubt. Perhaps they would have killed more had it not been for their leader being killed."

Fury sits back in his chair and folds his hands in a steeple. "When do you except they will return?"

"Quickly," says Thor. "They will seek revenge."

"We need to move the girls," says Steve. "The Imeldi think they have something of theirs."

"But moving them will be dangerous," argues Jane. "What if the Imeldi are expecting them?"

"Not only that," says Thor, "All great powers come from worlds beyond this. Why would the Imeldi put such emphasis on two mortal girls, neither of them Asgardian? The only tie they have to this phenomenon is that their parents were astrophysicists, like Jane."

"The bigger question," says Steve, "Is what steps are S.H.I.E.L.D. going to take? We have two things to worry about: the girls and the Imeldi."

"Onboard," says Fury, "S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to take every precaution possible to track these creatures. Additionally, we are going to make three stops within three days. The first is to take Leah off of the craft, and the second is to take Thea away."