13- What is Her Greatest Fear? (*)(/)

Hey all! Over 200 reads- I'm so excited!!!!!!!!

There's an author's note at the end, plus some interesting behind the scenes facts about Blue Moon

Thanks for reading!
~Sierra

Chapter Thirteen

~Nobody's POV~

Jane watches as Loki leaves the room without another glance back. She waits for Thea to come back, but when she does not, she turns to Dr. Banner, "Where's Thea, doctor?"

He looks up from where he is analyzing a set of maps and blueprints- Leah is sitting next to him, looking at them curiously. "Isn't she with Loki?" he asks, without concern.

Jane resists the urge to roll her eyes, then says, "No. Didn't you see Loki walk out of here?"

He shrugs. "She probably just wants to sit there by herself."

"I'm going to go check on her," she says, beginning to get up. "Stay with Leah, will you?"

Dr. Banner nods, and Jane thanks him. She then sets the computer that had been in her lap on the floor and walks towards the second division, where Loki and Thea had been. When she turns the corner, she stops cold.

Thea is lying on the floor, curled up in a ball. Her shoulders are shaking and Jane can hear her crying, her sobs choked and hoarse. "Oh my god," breathes Jane, hurrying over towards the girl. She crouches down and puts her hand on Thea's shoulder. "Thea, what happened?"

It takes a few minutes for Jane to convince Thea to sit up. The girl's face is contorted from tears: the area around her eyes is swollen, her hair is tangled, her eyes are half-closed and desperate, and tears stain her face, making clear stripes run down her skin.

"Thea, please, tell me. What did Loki do to you? Did he hurt you? Are you hurt?"

Thea coughs, obviously trying to control herself, but her body continues to shake. "N-o-o," she manages. "I'm fi-i-ne"."

"What did he say to you?" Jane demands.

"No-o-thing.'

"Thea, please!" begs Jane. "What did he say to you?"

"I don't want to talk about it," wails Thea.

Jane doesn't say anything for a few minutes. Then, she says, "Okay, please come with Dr. Banner and Leah and me, alright?"

"Okay," says Thea softly. Jane helps her up and walks her to the division where Dr. Banner, who has not moved, and Leah, who has not moved either, are sitting placidly against the wall.

However, when Banner looks up, he gets up with a start. "My god, Thea," he says, looking at her concernedly. "What happened? Wha-" He stops when he perceives that Jane is shaking her head firmly at him.  "Hey, c'mere," he says, wrapping one of his arms around Thea's shoulders, who, surprisingly, does not turn away.

"I'm going to go do something," says Jane quietly. "Stay with her, please."

Dr. Banner nods, pulling Thea over to where Leah is sitting, concerned as she looks up at her big sister, who is still crying.

Once she knows that Thea has relatively calmed herself, Jane strides out of the room, banging the door behind her forcefully. She is aware that she is in danger by leaving the shelter so close to a pending (and relatively uncertain) attack, but she is driven by the anger that is building in her chest.

She finds Thor, alongside Steve and Tony, in the main control room, surrounded by the buzz of the other S.H.I.E.L.D. workers. The agents work efficiently and professionally, but Jane can sense the tension in the air.