33- Let Me Kill Them (*)(/)

Here it is! Sorry it took so long!

Chapter Thirty Three

~Thea's POV~

Instead of S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters where I thought they would take me, Max and Kyle drive me to Stark tower. I'd always admired the building, wondered who created it and why. Now I know. Sort of.

There's a bit of a welcome party for us when we get there, walking inside the luxurious, albeit rather plain (at least in my opinion) foyer. First and foremost is Tony, who has a glass of champagne in his hand as he converses with a ginger-haired woman with bright eyes and a business-like demeanor about her. From what I've heard (usually by spying), this is his girlfriend, Pepper Potts.

With them is Steve, who is likewise holding a champagne glass, but it is full, and I suspect he is only holding it out of formality. He's the first to spot me, and waves with a small smile.

The only other person there is Agent Hill, who is her usual solemn self, her arms crossed as she stares straight ahead, as if zooming in on something miles away.

"Where-"

"Leah's upstairs, sleeping," Tony interrupts, clapping Max on the back. "Good to see you, old pal."

"...Where upstairs?" I ask, shivering in the chill of the city.

"Upstairs." Says Tony. Clearly, he wants me to stay down here. "Now once you bid adieu to these two-if you want- then I want you to come up with me. There are some people I want you to meet."

"And if I don't want to?" I ask, even though I'm pretty sure I have no choice.

Sure enough, Tony ignores my question and dives into a very animated conversation with Max about something scientific.

Kyle offers me a one-armed hug, which I accept stiffly. "Keep out of trouble, won't you Thea?" he grins.

"I won't."

He snorts. "I didn't expect anything better."

"You're smart."

"Shut up."

"No, you shut-"

"Okay, I'm going to take it from here," says Max, cutting in as Kyle and I glare at each other. "See you later, Thea. Behave and all that crap. It was nice to meet you."

"You too," I say, smiling up at him sweetly. From behind his brother, Kyle rolls his eyes.

Tony walks the two guys out, and Pepper takes this opportunity to smile, "Nice to meet you, Thea. I'm Pepper, although I'm sure you already knew that."

I almost say, "No, Tony never mentioned you," just to get his goat, but I decide against it. Instead, I put on my most innocent face and reply, "You too." Maybe I can appear to be innocent, and more people will trust me, therefore making them easier to deceive.

"If you want, we can head into the kitchen for a snack," she says, taking the still-full champagne glass from Steve. "There's someone in there I think you will have an interest in seeing."

"Someone" turns out to be Jack, munching away at a sandwich.

His face lights up when he sees me and immediately runs over to grab me in a hug. I'm rather squashed considering he is much taller than me, but nonetheless, I smile and squeeze him back. "I missed you," I say, before I realize I am saying it.

He looks delighted. "Me too, Thea. Unfortunately, with everything going on, I sort of doubt that we're going to be able to finish the Pirates of the Caribbean series."