10- Thea's Rage (*)

Sorry this took so long!

Enjoy!

Chapter Ten

~Thea's POV~

That night, I feel good enough to go down and eat dinner (in the basement eatery), with Jane's help. My legs are feeling a little weak, and I have a sort of limp, but I manage to get down in one piece.

To Leah's insistence (and Thor's gentle persuasion), I join the others at the table instead of eating by myself. All of the Avengers are present, except for Natasha and Dr. Banner, and Loki is also (unfortunately) here. And Leah and Jane of course.

I'm not very hungry, but I manage to choke down half of a chicken sandwich. Stark hungrily devours the rest, much to my chagrin, and I shoot him a disapproving look, which he pleasantly ignores. But I'm feeling too tired to protest so I don't press the matter.

Dinner is a mostly uneventful affair, which I spend picking at my sandwich, nodding along to whatever Leah or Jane are saying and ignoring Loki's incessant glances in my direction. Afterwards, I try to run to catch up with Jane while Thor takes Leah upstairs, trailed by his annoying brother and the equally annoying Stark.

"Jane!" I call. She turns around and upon seeing me, slows down with a smile.

"How are you, honey?" she asks.

I ignore the 'honey' in lieu of what I'm here for, even though it prickles in the back of my head. "So, um, I just wanted to apologize for what I said to you-er, about you."

She looks at me and then smiles. "It's alright. I am sorry that I offended you-"

"No, no," I interrupt, trying to keep up my calm demeanor, but my foot is beginning to hurt again and I think I need to lie down soon. "I'm um...glad that Leah can have someone to count on."

She smiles brightly, and I see that she is quite a bit younger than I had previously thought, and dimples accentuate her expression. "Of course. Are you feeling all right?"

"Um, ye-"

"Thea, I need to speak with you." Interrupts an annoyingly familiar voice.

'What if I don't want to speak with you?" I ask, not bothering to turn around to face Loki. I swear, I see a glimmer of a smile from Jane.

"I don't recall that I even asked," he says smugly.

"I'll leave you, I guess," Jane smiles at me and begins to walk away.

"No, Jane," I say hurriedly at the exact same time Loki says, "Yes, Jane, please do leave."

Jane gives me an apologetic look and turns a corner. I mentally curse and finally turn around to face Loki. Gone is the concerned apparel he had worn when my health (and arguably, my mental stability) and is instead replace by an air of perpetual self- conceit. "What?" I ask impatiently, trying to ignore the slight pain in my leg. "What do you want to 'speak to me about'?'

"About the future of you and your sister," he says.

"I don't know if I want to hear it from you," I retort.

"Well why not? What is the difference if you hear it from Thor, from Steve, or from me?"

"Because it is you."

I am satisfied to see a slightly annoyed frown flash across Loki's face, wiping away at least part of the smugness, although he recovers quickly. "Well, I apologize," he says sarcastically, "But I'm afraid we can't be picky at a time like this."