46- Keajaiban (*)

Hi all!

Here's a chapter, hope you like it!

Love, Sierra :) 

Chapter Forty-Six: Keajaiban

~Nobody's POV~

The Avengers minus Bruce Banner and plus Max and Peter Parker listen intently as Steve outlines their form of attack. 

"Okay," says Steve as the plane zooms over the Indian Ocean. They're on the tail end of the first day of flight, and everyone has fatigue written all over their faces. Steve brushes his away. "We've narrowed the possible location of the Mantra. It's inside a cave, called by the townsfolk, the Cave of Keajaiban, and it's haunted. The cave is deep, almost seventy feet underground. The locals bury their most esteemed dead there. And it's a maze of rocks, stalagmites, and snakes."

"Snakes?" asks Barton, confused.

"Snakes. The place is crawling with them." Steve leans his arm against the top of the railing of the plane. "According to local lore, there's a giant one that's supposedly the Raja Ular, or King of Snakes."

"Reticulated python, no doubt," says Natasha, who is on the computer, having pulled up snakes of Indonesia. 

Steve shrugs. "He claims the lives of about six humans a year."

Natasha stares, as does half of the gathered party. 

"How big are we talking?" asks Tony.

"Your guess is as good as mine." 

There's some silence, during which the only noise is Natasha typing furiously on her keyboard, and the hum of the engine. 

Tony breaks it by clapping his hands together. "Okay. We've got a haunted ghost cave in Indonesia, a king snake, and only a few days to save the earth. We'd better get started."

*

~Nobody's POV~

As it turns out, Jack is the first one to feel better. Well enough, anyway, for Bruce to push him in a wheelchair into Thea's room the next morning. Even though the sun is nearly high in the sky, Thea and Kyle are still sleeping, one of Kyle's hands off the bed, and Thea still curled up against him. 

Bruce is about to turn around when Thea's green eyes open and she stirs. This prompts Kyle to wake up, blinking drowsily. 

Yawning, Kyle says, "What's going on?"

"Thought the two might want to finally see each other," says Bruce, nodding towards Thea, who is staring at Jack as if she hasn't previously known of his existence. 

Kyle groans, throwing his head back against the pillow, but only successfully knocking it against the headboard. He feels Thea's forehead, "Looks like your fever's gone, missy."

"Mm," says Thea, not paying the slightest bit of attention to the young man.

"Fine then," Kyle says, rubbing his head as he sleepily climbs off of the bed. "Let the two lovebirds reunite," he adds between yawns. "And I'm gonna get food."

"There's some in the back cabinet," offers Bruce, angling Jack's chair to get closer to Thea. He glances at the two. "Come to think of it, I'll join you."

The door closes softly behind him. 

"Long time no see," grins Jack.

Thea's stare is fixated. Then she exclaims, "I can't believe you."

"Sorry, have to crack a joke every once in a while." 

There's an awkward silence, and then Thea says, very quietly, as if she doesn't actually want to say it, "I thought... I thought for sure..."