64- The Parting of the Ways (*)

OKAY ACTUALLY THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER. No epilogue. 

Thank you for reading!!!!!!!!

Chapter Sixty-Four

~Thea's POV~

All of us leave two days later, like Fury had so kindly (sarcasm) told me in his office. The first to depart are Thor, Loki, Leah, and Jane, the latter who is staying in Asgard for about a week to get Leah acclimated and to be with Thor. Apparently, while Jane will be making weekly visits, I am not allowed to step a toe in Asgard. 

And this is why I'm annoyed. 

I try to hide it though, as, holding Leah's hand, we walk out onto the large, open balcony on Stark Tower just as the sun is beginning to peak over the edge of the world. She is quiet, probably tired, but her small fingers wrap tightly around mine. I try to keep my composure. 

Seeing them off are Tony, Natasha, Darcy, Peter, and me. Jack was originally going to be here too, but he had stayed up so late last night, Peter and I had decided to let him sleep. 

"Leah," I whisper, kneeling down in front of my little sister as we all congregate in one area, and as the adults begin to say their good-byes. "Promise me you'll be safe, okay?" I blink rapidly. "And listen to Thor. Don't listen to Loki. Thor. Okay?"

"Okay." she says, her innocent little voice nearly sending me over the edge. "When do I get to see you?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. I don't know. Soon though, I promise you Leah. As soon as I can get to you, I'll see you, okay?"

She smiles, then throws her arms around my neck. I smile through my tears too, holding her small body close to mine. 

As we separate, I hold something out to her. "I think this is yours." It's the small charm bracelet that Jane had given to Leah on the helicarrier, so, so long ago when I had wrenched it from Leah, trying to protect her. 

She grins a toothy grin. "Yay, thanks, Thea!" 

I squeeze her tightly again, causing her to groan with over-exaggeration. "Lemme go, Thea! You're squishing me!" 

Finally, I let go. "Okay." I whisper. "Have fun, okay? I love you."

She kisses my cheek. "Bye, I love you too, sissy." 

Oh gosh, why did she have to call me that? 

I struggle mightily with my emotions as I stand- Peter puts his arm around me briefly. 

Thor walks up to me. Holding his hand out for mine, he says in his low voice, "I swear I will care for Leah. She will be safe with me."

"I know." I say, thankful my voice has stopped trembling. "I know."

"I have something for you." He holds out what appears to be a normal looking journal. "I will have one similar to it. If you write in it, the words will appear on the one in Asgard, and in this way, we can communicate. It does not always work, and when it does, it is only for a few minutes, but it is better than nothing."

"Thanks." I whisper, taking the leather-covered journal, reminded of the second Harry Potter book.

"This is not good-bye, Thea. We will return. Until then, may the heavens bless you." he leans down and kisses my cheek. "You're a brave girl, Thea. Stay that way." 

Jane hugs me tightly, amongst tears, promising that she will be visiting me in Michigan, with Darcy, when work allows time off work. 

That leaves Loki, who, as usual, is standing apart from the rest of us. Sort of like me in a cafeteria, looking for a place to sit.