Nine: Moving Day

The next morning, Theodosia put Philip's plan into action. She told her father that she was accepted into an exclusive college program upstate. Burr, being education obsessed and a lover of bragging about Theodosia, gladly let her go. 'Unfortunately', the program started the next day, so she had more time to 'settle in'. In one day, I'll would be with Philip, and no one will be able to stop us.

Theodosia woke up early the next morning, the winter sun shining through the bedroom. Rolling out of bed, she grabbed her suitcase and quickly began stuffing it with dresses. Once that had been filled beyond capacity, she grabbed a small satchel and put rolls of parchment and bottles of ink in. She put a small portrait of her family before her mother died in, stopping to stare at her mother. I wish she was still here.

Cinching her satchel shut, Theo picked up her suitcase and went over to the window. Poking her head out, she looked to see if Philip was there yet. She didn't see him, but she saw a piece of red fabric poking out from the side of her house. Smiling, she closed the window and quickly went down the stairs.

Walking into the kitchen, she saw her father sitting at the table eating breakfast. "Hi father," she smiled, sitting in the chair next to him.

"Hi Theo. Are you ready?" he asked, standing up.

"I think so," she nodded, taking his plate to the sink.

Burr smiled sadly, trying not to show his daughter his disappointment. 

Theodosia went over to her father, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I'll miss you," she said, pulling away and picking up her suitcase. Kissing his cheek, she turned towards the door.

"I'm going to miss you too," he said sadly, watching as Theo left the room. Following her out, Burr went to the front door, opening it for her. Kissing his daughter's forehead, he ushered her outside.

"See you in a month," she wrapped herself in her cloak and stepped outside. She walked on the road away from Philip, waiting for her father to shut the door. 

Hearing the familiar sound of the door slamming, Theodosia limped the other way, rounding the corner to the other side of the house. Her eyes met Philip's, and she hobbled quickly over to him, throwing her arms around his neck. 

"Hello yourself," he chuckled, putting his arms around her waist. "You ready?" he grinned.

"Of course," she nodded. Grabbing her suitcase, Theo took Philip's hand as he lead her towards a waiting carriage. 

Opening the door, he put her suitcase in the trunk and ushered her in. Turning, he hugged Maria. "Thank you for everything," he smiled, looking back at Theodosia.

"Don't mention it," she said humbly, nodding. "Have fun."

Philip hugged her again, and climbed in after Theo.

The door slammed shut, and he leaned towards the driver. "Rochester New York," he said, handing the driver money.

The carriage jolted forward, and Theodosia watched her home fade away. Resting her head on Philip's shoulder, she smiled and closed her eyes, wanting to savor this moment.

He's all mine.

I really meant to get this chapter up sooner, but with Christmas coming up, and I got a new dog, I was just so busy so I didn't finish the chapter all that quickly.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, etc!

< Jella >