Thirty: It's Quiet Uptown

Theodosia shivered under her dark cloak as she quickly retreated from the cold and into her seemingly abandoned apartment. Philip was with a few of his friends from college as well as his younger sister, leaving her alone for the evening.

Crouching by the fireplace, she coaxed a fire out of the glowing embers from that morning and tossed a few pieces of wood on it until the room brightened, revealing Philip sitting on the lounge chair. "Good evening Theodosia," he said in an attempt to be seductive.

Grinning, she playfully shoved him over and sat next to him. "What are you doing home? Didn't you have plans with Georges and Angelica?"

"I rescheduled so we could spend the evening together," he said sweetly, taking her hands. "We haven't left the city in ages. There's a Midsummer's Ball tonight, and I would like to accompany you to it. If you're well enough, that is."

Theodosia's green eyes stared dreamily out the window in their living room as she imagined going to a party, the first one she'd been to since she met Philip. "I'd enjoy that, very very much," she said softly, a faint smile crossing her features.

*********

The carriage ride to the ball was long and silent. Philip kept his hands tucked in his coat pockets, one holding the ring box and the other fiddling with a small piece of parchment. He couldn't help but stare at his girlfriend, transfixed on the way strands of curls dangled in front of her face. He wanted to get down on one knee right then and there, to hold her for time and all eternity. However, a proposal in the cramped interior of a carriage seemed like a failure awaiting, so Philip bit his lip and kept his hands in his pocket.

Humming softly, Theodosia was lost in thought, taking in the sights of the city she missed so much. The carriage came to a slow stop in front of the ballroom, and Philip scrambled to open the door.

The ring box hit the cobblestone street.

"Philip? What's this?" Theodosia asked quietly.

There was a slight pause as his eyes met hers.

"Well-"

*********

the end (?)