Sixteen: (Un)lucky Escape

Theodosia stopped, the dress slipping out of her hand. Philip had turned around, waiting for her to find Madelyn when she opened the closet. Closing her eyes, she gripped the side of the dresser.

Silence filled the room, forcing him to turn around. "Theodosia?" Philip put his hand on her shoulder. She didn't move, beginning to shake. "Theodosia?"

He stood in front of her, gently shaking her shoulder. Theo stood still, her eyes wide and unblinking. They rolled back, leaving only the whites showing. Collapsing, she hit the floor, eyes still open.

"Theo! Theo, are you alright?" Philip kneeled next to her. "Theodosia, can you hear me?" She curled into a ball, still shaking.

His breath hitched in his throat when he realized.

Her first seizure.

"Madelyn, go!" He pulled the closet door open. "I have to get her to the hospital, she-she's having a seizure." Madelyn nodded quickly and ran out.

Philip picked Theodosia up bridal style and hurried out the open door, kicking it shut behind him. Stumbling down the flights of stairs, tears blurred his vision, making it that much harder to see.

Dashing outside, he climbed into the nearest carriage and practically yelled directions at the driver. The carriage sped forward and down the street, bouncing rigidly with each pothole and bump. She let out a horrified sob and closed her eyes.

Skidding to a halt, Philip threw the door open and ran down the street, tossing money to the driver. He bolted into the hospital, breathing heavily. "Seizure," he gasped, holding the unconscious form. A doctor pulled her from his arms and laid her on a stretcher, pushing her down the hall quickly. He followed close behind, tears prickling in his eyes.

"Is she going to be okay?" He followed the doctor into a separate room, who began to examine her quickly. "I can't say for certain," he muttered. Philip's face fell. "If you'll please go to the waiting room, I'll let you know when you can see her." He nodded solemnly and left the room.

*********

The hours ticked by in agony, each second and minute feeling like an eternity. Philip waited anxiously, pacing and trying to keep his mind from drifting back to the feeling of hopelessness. "Theodosia's going to be okay, she'll be okay, she'll-" He sat down, putting his head in his hands. "Stay alive, please," he whispered. "Stay alive."

The doctor came in, his face emotionless. "You can come in and see her now." He quickly stood up and followed the doctor into the room.

Philip's face immediately fell when he saw her asleep in the hospital bed. Stepping forward, he nervously sat in a chair by her. Studying her features, he smiled sadly. Theodosia looked peaceful, her breathing slow and deep. The rhythm of her chest rising and falling calmed him, but a voice rang in his head.

"Is she going to stay alive?"

Aaaand that's a terrible cliffhanger! I'll try and update soon, but I'm currently working on two other books right now and it's a little stressful when I add in schoolwork. If you're interested, one is a Newt Scamander story called Shy, and there's also my multifandom one shots if you'd like to check that out. 

Thanks for reading!

< Jella >