Nineteen: The Confidante's Daughter

A/N: I made an edit of Susan Reynolds that I thought would go well with this chapter. Hope you like it!

By the time the carriage pulled up to Maria's, the sun was beginning to set, casting shadows across the street

By the time the carriage pulled up to Maria's, the sun was beginning to set, casting shadows across the street. Shakily handing the driver a bank note, Theo climbed out, suitcase in hand. She knocked on the door, and was immediately wrapped in a hug when it opened.

"Theodosia! How are you?" Maria smiled and lead her inside, the warm air enveloping her. Theodosia tried to speak, but as soon as she got a word out, tears flowed down her cheeks. "Are you alright? Where's Philip?" 

She began to cry harder at the mention of him, and Maria quickly put the pieces together. "He broke up with you?" She nodded, covering her face. "He cheated," she whispered, and was enveloped in another hug.

"He'll get what's coming to him, the little-" Her cursing halted when she saw a young woman coming in from the kitchen. 

"Is that James? Do I need to make something for him?" Her intelligent brown eyes shimmered.

"No, it's Theodosia dear. Theodosia, this is my daughter Susan. She's only a few years younger than you." Maria beckoned for Susan to come over.

"Nice to meet you Theodosia. My mother mentions you a lot." She smiled and shook Theo's hand before turning back to Maria. "Is James going to be home for dinner?"

She shook her head. "He's on another business trip. Most likely with some other woman."

Susan nodded soberly and returned to the kitchen. "I assume you'll be staying with us until-" Maria stopped herself. "Until everything is sorted out."

"If that is okay with you," Theodosia said softly. She looked sickly and shaky.

Maria nodded. "Yes, that's perfectly fine. Are you alright?" 

"Yes, just a little lightheaded and overwhelmed. I think I'll get some air." She opened the front door and carefully walked down the street, finding an empty bench near the park. A harsh wind blew, pulling curls out of her loose braid. 

Feeling nauseous, she buried her face in her hands, holding back tears. Once her vision started fading, Theodosia realized.

Seizure.

Standing up, she shakily tried to make it back to Maria's. One of her legs gave out, and she staggered forward still, desperately attempting to get down the street. A man saw her, his eyes wide, and ran forward. 

Her other leg went limp, and she fell forward. The man kneeled next to her and immediately recognized her. "Theodosia?"

Her vision slowly faded away, barely able to make out her father's face hovering over her.