23~Proceed

Flash forward a month:

"C'mon, Braelynn. You should totally come with me to the Christmas party this Friday. I swear you'll love it!" Lacey prodded me.

"Stop begging me to go to your damn Christmas party. You already know I don't want to go. I told you this last week!" I turn to look back at the rack of boots.

Lacey has a hurt expression on her face. "A simple 'No, Lacey, I already told you I don't  want to go' would have been perfectly fine." She walks off, obviously hurt by my words.

I honestly didn't want to go. Ever since Tyler and I ended things, I couldn't bring myself to do fun stuff like that. Tyler would be the person I would go with if I still had him by my side. I had to go and fuck that up, though. Just like I do with everything else.

The door on the stall won't lock, so I stand in the bathroom with tears running down my face. I never realized how much I missed him. It's been torture for the past few weeks. Not being able to wake up to his inked up arms wrapped around me, or even his morning voice. I miss the way he would run his hands through my hair. I missed everything he did. I missed him.

Someone knocks on the stall door. "Braelynn, are you ok?"

"Uhh, yeah." I sniffle before walking out of the stall and past Lacey.

Lacey follows me out of the bathroom. She doesn't say a word until I stop walking. "What's wrong, Braelynn? You're not yourself right now. It's bothering me to have to see you like this."

I shake my head. "It's nothing. I'm sorry about earlier.. To show that I am sorry, I'll even go to the party." Mentally, I cringe at the sarcasm and anger laced into my voice.

Lacey gave me a soft smile. "It's fine. I'm sure whatever you're.. stressed about will get better. You may not wanna talk about it, but if you do, I'm always here for you."

"Thanks Lace." We hug it out before I have to get back to work.

~~~~

"Should I go ugly sweater, or slutty Mrs. Clause?" There were two outfits I could choose from. Both looked cute, but what I'm wearing depends on the nature of the party.

"It's not one of those parties where kids are invited." Lacey rolled her eyes. "You should totally go slutty Mrs. C. You'd rock that dress. It shows off all your curves." She points out while fixing her lip stick in the mirror.

"True, but don't you think I'd get cold? I mean it's like forty degrees out and the wind is blowing." I pout, trying to get out of wearing the dress.

Lacey rolls her eyes again. "Damn, Mrs. C, you're whinny today. Just put in the dress you'll be fine. God, you actually sound like a Texan."

The dress looks to be pretty warm, actually. It's lined in fleece and has pretty thick material on it. "Fine. I'll wear the stupid dress." I pull the dress off the hanger and slip into it. Lacey was right. The dress does show off my curves. In a good way, too.

I walk out of the closet, and into Lacey's view. "How does it look?"

Lacey looks up at me from her phone. "Holy crap, B, you look incredible. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some men there eye-fucking you." Lacey shrugged as she applies mascara.

I laugh it off. "Please. Guys wanting this?" I motion towards my body. My heart breaks a bit. Saying that reminds me of Tyler. He always complimented my body. "Are you ready to go, Lace?" I pull my high heels off the shelf they were sitting on in Lacey's closet.

Lacey nods and moves off the floor. "Yeah, just let me grab my heels." She dissapears into the closet and reappears after a moment. "Alright, let's blow this popsicle stand."