Chapter 56: Aftermath.

It was late. I was laying in bed. It's been 2 days since our encounter with Negan. Since we lost family. Maggie and Sasha had went to hilltop. To the doctor Maggie needed. I really hope the baby is okay. I really hope Maggie is okay. I haven't gotten much sleep. I can't. Ever since that night, whenever I close my eyes it's all I see. And it's killing me. I looked over at my clock. 2am. I took a deep breath before quietly getting out of my bed. I made my way to Carls room.

  His door was already slightly open, so I slowly pushed it and peered in. He was sitting at his window sill. He glanced back at me.

  "You can't sleep either?" I asked stepping into the room. He shook his head no.

  I shut the door behind me and sat across from him. It was silent for a few moments. But that was okay. I didn't need to talk. Just his presence was enough.

  "Did you need something?" Carl asked me.

  "I just don't want to be alone." I quietly answered while looking out the window at the dead of the night.

  "You're not." Carl told me. I gave him a weak smile. I know I'm not. But sometimes you need to be reminded that you aren't.

"You know, when I was younger, me and my sister would sneak into each others room really late at night, and watch tv while we played with our dolls." I said glancing down. Carl looked at me with a confused expression.

"And sometimes we would laugh a little to loud, and our parents would catch us and we would get grounded." I smiled at the memory. "But we didn't care. Every night, we would still dress up our dolls while Toy Story played."

  Carl scrunched his eyebrows.

  "Come on. Let's talk about something that's not depressing. Let's just talk about something normal. We never do that." I explained with a smile. Carl didn't answer. I looked back out the window. My smile faded. "I thought we could just try to get our mind off things." I quietly spoke. We sat in silence for a while.

"In third grade, my friend, My best friend. He was allergic to dairy." Carl spoke. I glanced over at him. "So he would always have soy milk in his lunch." Carl told me. I smiled as he continued his story. "One day, he told me to try a little bit of his milk."

"Oh gross!" I said with a disgusted face.

"So I tried some. And I nearly threw up all over the lunch table." I let out a small laugh. "I didn't though. But I almost did." He said with a smile.

"What was his name? Your friend?" I asked Carl.

"Rex. Well Ryan but, his middle name was Rex, and it sounds cooler, so everyone called him Rex. He was basically like my brother. We hung out all the time." Carl said.

"I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up without a sibling." I thought aloud.

"Kind of boring, until Christmas or your birthday." Carl replied.

We shared a moment of quiet laughter.

"You have Judith now. And you've been a great brother to her." I told Carl. He slightly smiled.

It was nice to have that. A few minutes where we forget everything going on around us. To get our mind off the past couple of horrible days. And not talk about weapons, or walkers, or death. But talk about normal things. I haven't done that in so long. Neither of us have. I glanced at the time. 2:20am.