Chapter 21: Hope ring

Carl and I were walking just a little behind Rick and Michonne. We have been following these train track for a while now and I really hope this terminus place is worth the walk. The sun was beginning to set and everyone was feeling pretty tired, so we thought to set up camp for the night. We went just a little bit into the woods, but kept the train tracks in view.

Rick and Michonne were setting up the sleeping bags. Carl and I were making the fire pit. I went a little deeper in the woods to look for some fire wood. I pointed my flashlight at the ground and was finding nothing but dirt and leaves. I was looking threw the leaves when I felt a hand touch my shoulder, I slightly jumped and turned around. It was just carl.

"Jesus Carl!" I loudly whispered, smiling and holding my hand over my heart.

"Sorry." Carl said with a small laugh. "I wanted to give you this." He said while handing me a small pink ring with the word hope on it. My eyes lit up and smiled. I put the ring on my ring finger and gave Carl a hug.

"Thanks." I said as we pulled away. I saw Rick and Michonne looking over at us and smiling. I pretended I didn't see them as my cheeks went red. Carl and I walked back to the little camp holding hands. We're not dating, we just a have a strong friendship I guess.. I think. We sat down by the fire pit and Michonne pulled out a lighter from her bag. She got the fire started, but the flames were small and slowly burning out.

"We need paper or something." I suggested.

"Oh I have some." Carl said grabbing his bag and pulling out my sketchbook.

"I grabbed this for you." Carl said handing me the book. "Back at the prison. Before I left I was looking for you. I checked your cell but you weren't there, so I just grabbed the sketchbook off your bed and left."

"Thank you." I replied smiling. I ripped out a blank page and handed it to Michonne. She put the paper in the fire and the flames got bigger. I grabbed my bag and dug threw it. Luckily I found a pencil at the bottom. I started to sketch my hope ring. It was something special. Not just because Carl gave it to me, but because the word hope has lots of meaning to me. Hope is what keeps me going. I don't just wake up and survive, I wake up because I know there is still hope. Carl and Rick and Michonne are my hope right now. And finding Carl after everything that has happened shows me that there is still hope. Even in this world.