Introductions

"Thanks," the woman said, rubbing her hair vigorously. "I'll just have the strongest coffee you have." She laughed and it bounced around the room like a line of music filling a concert hall.

"I'm afraid we'll have to wait a couple of minutes before I can make you a drink; it takes a little while for the coffee machine to warm up." Ellie slid her shoes off and put her legs up on the sofa, getting comfortable. The other woman followed suit which was a relief in a bizarre way. 

"You really don't have to go to so much trouble just to make me a coffee you know," the woman said from under the towel. "You could have just sent me on my way and I could have gone elsewhere."

Ellie nodded slightly and took the, now wet, towel from the woman's hands. Putting it on the radiator in the corner, she took her ponytail out and let her hair swish onto her back. 

"That's very true but I decided you needed to talk to someone." Again her palm met her head, regretting her words the moment they fell from her mouth. "I don't mean to sound rude, honestly. I suppose I just figured there was no loss to me being nice to you, and I would have regretted it if I'd forced you to leave. If that even makes sense." Ellie let out a desperate giggle which was joined by a soft laughter from the young woman.

"I appreciate it, thanks," the woman said, finally smiling. When Ellie had sat back down on the sofa, the woman held out a hand. "I'm Robin and it's a pleasure to meet you." 

Ellie met Robin's hand and shook it firmly, something her mother had always said was important. 'The stronger the handshake, the better the conversation'. "Ellie and the pleasure is all mine." The women giggled at the over-the-top formalities. 

"So what brings you to my little coffee shop at half nine on a Saturday evening?" Ellie asked, a cheeky grin growing on her face.