Where To Go

Within half an hour, the shop was ready to be closed. The coffee machine was crystal clean and sparkling under the dimmed spotlights. The tables and chairs were re-organised and also clean. Cakes and biscuits that hadn't been sold were put into containers ready for donation and not a single crumb remained on the floor.

"Maybe I should hire you," Ellie said, laughing until she remembered offering the job to Robin.

"If I wasn't working for the shelter, I would accept." Mark grinned and held his arm out for Ellie to take. Hesitant, she gave in to the charming glint in his eye after a short pause and put her arm through his.

They walked down the road under a soft glow of the street lamps. It wasn't as foggy as her night out with Robin, and she was wishing it was. Every now and then, Mark would look at her and smile. He didn't say a word which she was thankful for; what would she say? What if he said something that she couldn't respond to?

A few meters later, the high-street came into view. There were bustling groups of people along each side of the pavement, some stopping at the odd indie restaurant and going inside. Mark stopped just before a crossing and turned to face Ellie.

"Where do you fancy eating?"

"I don't mind – you can choose."

Mark looked over the various eateries and pointed to one towards the end of the road. "How about that one, with the red canopy thing."

"You mean the Italian?"

"Yeah. Do you like pizza? Or pasta?"

Ellie nodded slowly, her mind rolling back to her evening with Robin. "It sounds good I suppose." For some reason, it felt wrong to go to the same place with Mark as she went with Robin like it was betrayal or something.

"Are you ok?" Mark looked straight into Ellie's eyes, his eyebrows furrowed together with concern.

"Just a bit tired is all," Ellie mumbled, giving him a fake smile. "Let's go and get a table."