News

It wasn't long for the mulled wine to take effect and loosen some people's tongues; a few groups of people were singing 'Last Christmas' as loud as they could while others were asleep on the picnic benches. A couple were dancing like drunken snowmen, their multiple layers of coats, scarves, hats and gloves looking like a pile of clothes were dancing instead of a person.

"So how does the science work again?" Mark's speech was slurred but he was at least standing upright. That was more than Jason had achieved as he was currently laying on the frost-covered grass, fast asleep.

"What science?" Ellie raised an eyebrow, confused as to what Mark was talking about. There sure was a lot of science in the world that he could be wanting to discuss.

"Well, you handed over your wine to Robin. If you're avoiding alcohol then you must be pregnant but you're both ladies so how does the science work?"

Ellie's cheeks flushed a furious shade of red as she shot a look of worry to the blonde beside her. Much to her surprise, the brunette found her wife to be looking just as startled.

"Oh wait," Mark said, his eyebrows nearly as high as Ellie's. "You didn't sleep with someone else did you?" He was attempting to whisper but actually spoke louder than he had done before.

"No! Of course not, don't be an idiot," the brunette said, glad that everyone else seemed to be drunk enough not to hear what was being said. "We used a sperm donor, that's how the science works but please, please Mark, don't tell anyone?"

Propping himself up against a tree, Mark still looked confused. "But it's not Robin's baby as well then, is it?"

"That's not the point," the blonde said, helping him to sit down. "The point is that we only found out for certain that it had been successful last week so we're still getting used to the idea ourselves. We don't need anyone else barging in on our little secret just yet, ok?"

Mark gulped, nodding slowly. "You know," he said, his words incredibly slurred. "You kind of scare me, Robin." With that, he fell asleep against the tree, his loud snore echoing around the park.

"Did I hear that correctly?" Ellie's Dad came out from the crowd and into their little pocket, mostly taken up by a sleeping Mark.

"Dad, I,"

"No need Ellie." He took the brunette's hand with one of his and smiled, the candlelight giving a shimmer to his eyes. He took one of Robin's hands with his other and put them together, almost like a weird marriage ceremony. "I'm only ever filled with pride and hope when I see you two together, just as I am when I see Jason and Kate. This news can be yours to keep, of course, but just know that I am happy for you."

Ellie held a hand to her mouth in shock as tears started to roll down her Dad's cheeks. "Don't get upset you daft thing," she said, wiping his eyes with a tissue from her pocket. "It's Christmas, Dad; it's a time to be happy."

"These are happy tears," he said, kissing the brunette lightly on her forehead. "I only wish your Mum could be here."

Robin put an arm around Ellie and held her tight, her other arm taking in the brunette's Dad as well. Together they stood in the glowing candlelight as the stars shone above them. The silence was starting to grow as people headed home to bed or were falling asleep like Mark and Jason had done.

"I'll leave you two to it; I'd better head home now." Walking back into the dark of the night, Ellie's Dad disappeared from view.

With her other arm now free, Robin squeezed the brunette tightly, smiling as Ellie nestled her head into the blonde's shoulder.

A/N: WOAH! So there is actually one more chapter after this which.. oh look! It's there already! Why not read on then? XD

Please feel free to leave a comment below - I'd love to know what you think of these final chapters as after these, I'm going to have to say goodbye to Robin and Ellie. Enjoy folks!