To Bake Or Not To Bake

Ellie's living space wasn't big but wasn't nearly as small as some places she'd looked at further into London. After buying the place, she'd knocked down the wall separating the kitchen from the living room and removed the large dining table which was left from the previous owner. That way, there was a decent amount of leg room between her sofa and the TV, as well as enough room for a small table and chairs, as well as a slight extension to the kitchen for a half-decent sized oven.

"Wow," Robin mumbled as Ellie led her upstairs and opened the door to the flat. As there weren't any walls to the front of the building, it felt open and spacious. Admittedly the amount of furniture made the floor hard to see, but it wasn't at all claustrophobic.

Ellie went into the kitchen space and opened up the fridge, getting out butter, chocolate and searching for various other brownie ingredients in the surrounding cupboards. "Are you going to stare at my bad furniture choices, or are you going to help me make brownies?" Ellie giggled as she started to weigh out bar after bar of chocolate.

"I wouldn't say your furniture is bad as such," Robin said, grinning. "It just isn't perhaps the same style as my place. That's all." As she joined the brunette in the kitchen, Robin marvelled at how fast Ellie's movements were; every calculation was being done inside her head, there wasn't a single recipe out. "Do you make brownies a lot by any chance?"

Ellie shook her head, gasping in surprise as she felt Robin's arms slip around her waist. "I've only made them a couple of times for the café." She paused as the blonde kissed her cheek. "When I was little, I made them with my Mum. I'd sell them to the neighbours or take them to school." Her voice began to break as the memories came flooding back.

She pushed away from the kitchen counter, breaking away from Robin. "I'm being ridiculous; it's only brownies."

"That was a rather pathetic attempt at lying. If something upsets you, you shouldn't do it. No-one has the right to make you cry, even if it's a brownie."

"I'm not crying, there's just some dust in my eyes."

Robin sighed and gently placed her hands either side of Ellie's face, wiping away a falling tear with her thumb. "I won't ask, but I will apologise. I didn't mean to upset you."

"You haven't upset me, don't be daft, I-"

"I suggested brownies. You start making brownies. Now you're crying because of the brownies. Cause to effect, Ellie."

The brunette closed her eyes as Robin left a kiss on her forehead. In that single second, she'd never felt so calm. Her Mum was still speaking in her mind, still repeating the steps of baking over and over. Still smiling as afternoon sun shone through the conservatory and into the kitchen. Still laughing at her mistakes, but correcting them without getting angry or the slightest bit disappointed. "I think you've said brownie too much now," Ellie mumbled, wiping her eyes with her sleeve. "It doesn't sound right now."

"I get what you mean. Maybe you should bake a chocolate cake instead? Or cupcakes?"

"I might do in a little while."

"Um, ok then? Did I say something wrong?"

Ellie shook her head and took Robin's hands into her own. "Not in the slightest." She took a step closer and noticed the detail of the blonde's eyes. "It would be nice to get to know you a bit more is all. The cakes can wait."

A/N: Well there you have it. Not quite sure what but hey ho. Ellie is sweet and Robin is kind. What a lovely pair, eh? Hmm.. Love a good brownie. Anyways, as usual, please leave a comment if you feel like it and enjoy folks :3