Caramel Latte

A few weeks later and it was just another Thursday afternoon in the coffee shop. Robin was at the till and serving the cakes whilst Ellie did her best to keep up with the coffee orders. Having been persuaded to advertise in the shop window, Ellie's profits had gone through the roof and the shop was nearly always full. Gone were the days of a couple of mums sitting in the corner - today there was a queue out of the door.

"Three standard cappuccinos and a caramel latte please," Robin said, handing the receipt to Ellie. The brunette took the paper and pinned it onto the cork notice board which had been put up over the coffee machine. The paper hung beside four other orders ranging in size from a single takeaway americano to six different types of flavour-shot lattes.

Ellie's hands moved with speed and precision as ground coffee turned into that golden liquid soon to take over tea in the hot drinks market. People thanked her, took their coffee, and moved on. Unlike a normal 'rush', there wasn't any hostility between the customers. It wasn't a sunny day so it wasn't the sun making people happy, they just seemed to enjoy being pleasant to one another. A group of teenagers had come in during the morning and had talked to any adult passing them by - a very rare occurrence. Just as a relaxed smile began to form on her face, Ellie heard Robin mention the petition.

"Oh, of course, I'll sign it," the customer said. "It would be a terrible thing if the coffee shop closed, plus you two are such lovely young women." Robin thanked the customer and handed her the cake she'd ordered. Most people had signed the petition which Ellie was grateful for, of course, but they still had a long way to go if the shop was going to be safe.

A few days ago, Ellie had held a meeting with Laura, the lawyer, to see what she could do to save her shop. Having exhausted all legal option through purchasing or proving the gentleman wrong with Ellie's own paperwork, Robin had suggested using the community to prove that the shop was needed.

Laura had approved of the idea but highlighted the fact that over a hundred thousand signature would be needed to be evidence enough to use in court against the man wanting to take back 'his building'.

Just as the brunette began to worry about her beloved shop's future, she felt two arms slide around her middle. She gasped and looked over her shoulder to see a mischievous smile coming from the blonde.

"Your ear was twitching again," Robin whispered. "Stop worrying about the shop and enjoy the time you're having at the moment. If the worst happens then you'll regret not enjoying this time more."

Ellie sighed and placed and hand on Robins, smiling a little herself. "Since when did you get so wise?"

"I've always been wise actually." The blonde broke away and looked a little hurt at Ellie's comment.

"So wise that you forgot a coat and got drenched outside the coffee shop?" A smirk played on the brunette's lips which soon met the blonde's in a short-but-sweet kiss.

"Ok so maybe I started being wise when I asked you out?"

"I'm not sure I'd count that as a wise decision, but oh well." Ellie laughed and went back to making coffees as a few more customers came into the shop and a queue began to reform.

Robin sighed and shook her head. "You shouldn't be so down on yourself. And besides, I've probably got a three-day warranty so if I don't like you, I can take back my question." She winked and pretended to be injured when the brunette hit her arm.

"Stop confusing the customers and get back to work. I don't pay you to chat," the girls both giggled and returned to their work, often breaking into song with Robin's chosen playlist of slightly more upbeat songs than Ellie was used to choosing. It certainly made the time go by faster and the customers liked it. If it wasn't for the uncertainty in the coffee shop's future, Ellie would be able to relax a little more in the lively space. Instead, all she could do was imagine what the next few months would hold. 

A/N: So hey I updated! Yay! Unfortunately, I won't be updating for the next two Mondays so I hope this makes up for it? Anyways, let me know what you think with a comment and if you loved it, how about pressing the lil' star? Enjoy folks :3