Helping Hand

The cafe went quiet for a moment as the outburst interrupted other conversations and murmurings. "Sorry," Ellie whispered as she exchanged looks with most of the customers in the shop. Luckily they didn't seem annoyed. On the contrary, they looked surprised. Ellie turned back round in her seat and smiled. "What did you think of the coffee then?" 

Robin looked into the mug as if studying what used to be in there. "Well obviously I've never had one of these before, but I think it was good. Just like a milk-froth americano." 

Ellie giggled and rolled her eyes. "I suppose you're right, in a way."

"Personally, I don't see what's so funny," Robin said, a smirk slowly growing on her face. "This was a cappuccino, isn't it?"

Ellie nodded. "With an extra shot. Just for the sake of it."

"Was Mark right then? This is your favourite coffee?"

The brunette shrugged a little. "Yeah; I like to have a shot of caramel syrup in mine though."

"Do you have syrup here?" Robin sat up tall in her chair, trying to peer over the worktop to where the coffee machine was positioned.

"We do actually," Ellie said, pausing to think for a moment. "I'm not too sure which ones we even have now that I think about it." She got up and walked behind the counter, vanishing from Robin's line of sight as various cupboards were rummaged through and examined.

A few minutes later, a couple of people had come in the shop. They stood patiently by the till, reading and re-reading the list of drinks. British folk would never create a fuss over such a trivial thing as coffee; they'd rather wait than interrupt.

"Um, Ellie?" Robin muttered. There was no reply from the hidden barista. Robin went over to the till and leaned over the worktop. "Oi," she shouted, trying not to laugh. "It might be useful for you to take your head out of the cupboard and serve these customers?"

Ellie sheepishly removed the upper half of her body which had made its way into a cupboard next to the cake fridge. She smiled at the customers staring at her, blatant confusion and surprise on their faces. Her mouth opened to apologise but only 'ums' and 'ers' came out.

"What can I get for you?" Robin said, positioning herself behind the till. The first customer gave a list of three coffees with five slices of various cakes. "Sure thing," she typed the correct numbers into the till and printed out the receipt. "My friend Ellie will get your coffees for you and I'll just grab your cake." Robin winked at Ellie who was still sat on the floor, stunned. She nodded her head towards the coffee machine and the brunette eventually got up.

"Thank you," Ellie whispered as Robin finished with the cakes and started to serve the next customer. There was no reply, but there was no need for one. 

A/N: Sorry this chapter took longer than usual to upload; work suddenly got busy XD Let me know what you think of this chapter in the comments below :) Happy reading folks!