Of pain

I woke up groaning and wincing in pain. Blinding pain cut through my ribs as I sat upright, whimpering as I tried not to cry out. Breathing heavily and clutching at my ribs, I walked slowly towards my bathroom to get ready for school. My whole body felt as if it had been tossed inside the washing machine.

I had never been in so much physical pain in my life. I shuffled my way into the shower and switched the warm water on. I closed my eyes as the warm water caressed my aching body. It was bliss, standing under the warm water as it cascades down around me. In this moment, life was bearable. I washed my body and my hair, smelling the familiar lavender and mint.

Then, screams and shouts of anger broke me from my peace. I gritted my teeth and washed the soap of my body before drying myself up quickly. I ran towards my room and pulled on ripped skinny jeans and a shirt. Tugging my hoodie down and my bag, I raced down the kitchen where the screams were coming from.

I was greeted with a sight.

Mum was on the floor and Dad was towering menacingly over her. Anger flashed through me and I barrelled over, pushing him away from her.  She was whimpering and clutching at her arm. I stood in front of her and glared at the spawn of devil. He was muscular and very strong.

I knew I couldn’t stand a chance.

But he doesn’t have the right to do that to Mum.

‘Stay away from her,’ I threatened him softly. He narrowed his eyes at me and took a step forwards; both his hands were curled into taut fists at my insubordination. I flinched at him and tightened my jaw; fear was already clawing in my chest. I knew what would happen to me. But it’s better if Mum was okay.

It’s better if he took out his anger on me instead.

Mum was pleading at Dad to stop, whimpering and begging. My heart was already broken at her pleading and I stood my ground as I stared at him. His eyes flashed and then he struck. I was able to dodge his first blow but his second was far too strong and too fast for me to deflect.  I felt his fist slam into my already aching ribs and felt it crack. I let out a gasp and fell to my knees, a hand clutching at my side.

Mum started crying as she saw me fell; she was pulling at my arm, begging at me not to stand up. I gritted my teeth and glanced at her, noting her tears. Her eyes were in lots of pain and her lips were quivering as she pleaded at me. My heart broke at her form, she used to be so strong, used to be so happy.

I heard him growl and turned my attention back at him. Dad took a chair off the dining table and swung at us.

Mum screamed and I covered her with my body, moving instinctively. I felt the pain; I felt it smashing onto my back. Pain flashed throughout my body and I groaned, sinking to the floor. Mum screamed again and she started yelling, crying at him, accusing him. I lay on her body, feeling myself drift off.

This pain is unbearable.

I glanced at Mum who was still screaming and saw Dad giving her a murderous glare. He was about to hit again and I did the only thing I had in mind. I moved. I knew I was strong, thanks to the hours of training being a softball player. I seemed to snap out of the pain in my ribs and my back, hoisting her up with one move.

Thank god she was light.

Dad started hollering at us as I ran towards the back door. ‘Come back you two! I’m not done with you yet!’ he screamed at us and he stomped his way out, following us swiftly. I knew the back door was unlocked, even after all these years of hell and I swiftly got out of the damn prison.

I could still hear him racing after us and I ran even faster. My heart was in my chest and my back, my arms and my ribs were all protesting at me to slow down. I couldn’t. I didn’t want him to hit me or Mum again. I couldn’t let him bully us anymore. I needed to get out of here. Mum was gripping on my neck so tightly and urging me to run faster.